May 6, 2007

Well Played, Poster: American Gangster

See, this is why I insult, degrade and get so god damn angry about bad posters. Because I know that with a little bit of effort this marketing tool can be mindblowing, and amazing, and stunning, and a sort of thing of beauty. I haven't had a reaction to a poster like this since last year's flatout genius poster for Suburban Mayhem - a poster I wanted to hang on my wall even before seeing the movie (and still sorta do, despite not loving the film).

JoBlo recently got an exlusive look at the posters for the new Ridley Scott film American Gangster starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. I love them like I imagine someone loves their own child. I want to marry them and drive cross country in a comby van sharing our love for each other to both wanton rebels from the wrong side of the tracks whom we know are capable of change (as all those dance films teach us, they can change), but also to conservative church-going folks who are scared of the love we share. We will try to bring them over to our part-gothic, part-hipster party so that we can convert them to our freeloving ways.

Seriously. I cherish these two posters. I covet them. I believe they were sent to me from those cruel and heartless bastards in Hollywood as a means of apologising for all the nasty shite I've had to endure from it. Apology accepted.


[click to watch them grow]


Seriously. I'm kvelling right now and I ain't even Jewish!

I'm sure none of y'all will love these even half as much as I do but, damn, these are just... wow. This is what a poster should be. Not some halfarsed cropped movie still on a white background. Aaagh. Someone stop me, please or I won't stop. I'll just keep gushing. I know sooner or later they will release a poster with both of the designs smushed together, and the DVD (the regular one, not the special edition) will feature both Denzel and Russell in their natural guises sans artiness.

But whatever, until then I have this... this... thing of beauty. I can only hope that the movie is half as good, which is sort of strange considering it's only a poster, but 'tev YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw them at JoBlo's, all I could do, after closing my mouth, was say, hell yes!.

So nicely done. Simple, evocative, moody.. I-wanna-see-the-film-good.

Boyd said...

Yay! Those posters are really great. Funny that you post this today, as I got my first look at the poster of Après lui, the new film from Gaël Morel with Catherine Deneuve. It's so cool that I just sat staring at the screen for a bit, thinking, why don't people put any effort into posters anymore?

Is a blurred shot of Deneuve sitting in a car with a reflection of her young lover (who also SPOILER killed her son END SPOILER) in the window such an original thing or does it just stand out because we only seem to be getting mediocre posters?

The last great poster I can remember was the series for Miami Vice (especially the one with Li Gong), and they are strangely similar to the American Gangster posters. Weird.

Boyd said...

Oops. the link don't work. Here it is again:

click here for cool poster!

Glenn Dunks said...

Yes, the Miami Vice three-piece cinema standup was amazing also. Gong Li sitting in darkness.

I'm not loving the Apres Lui poster but it's effective and for a foreign film it's quite nice (foreign films have dreadful posters for english speaking countries a lot of the time for some reason), but it's a helluva lot better than a lot of posters out there.

par3182 said...

i wonder if russell's upset that denzel's got a bigger pistol?

J.D. said...

"Click to watch them grow." You pervert. I noticed it now, ha! LOL. And isn't that a little stereotypical what par said? And Gong Li is awesome. You broght her up, so I have to say it.

Glenn Dunks said...

Par, what Russell lacks in pistol size he gains is delightfully comedic suit attire.

Glenn Dunks said...

The more I look at them the more I keep forgetting that this is a Ridley Scott film and not a Michael Mann film. The design is very similar to Miami Vice and Heat and it just has that LA heat vibe to it if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Russell's poster remind me of Pacino in scarface

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Scarface-Poster-C10087532.jpeg