January 17, 2007

Golden Globes Roundup

(omg, as I typed that title I actually typed "Golden Girls Roundup" - LOL!)

So, the Globes have been and gone. I nearly didn't get to see them due to a state-wide blackout (thanks Simon for offering to record them though!) Let's see how I did. (also, I'd put in pictures but I can't be bothered right now)

BEST PICTURE - DRAMA
WINNER: Babel
PREDICTION: The Queen
COMMENTS: So, my theory that Babel would go home empty handed nearly eventuated, but then it pulled this win OUT OF IT'S MULTICULTURAL ARSE. Blah. What a disappointing win. Not at all in the camp of this film. I would have prefered Bobby, a film I haven't even seen. I suppose this means it's gonna be one of the final five with Oscar, ey? I hoped it wouldn't, but alas. Why don't just just rename this movie Pain or something like that?

BEST PICTURE - MUSICAL/COMEDY
WINNER: Dreamgirls
PREDICTION: Dreamgirls
COMMENTS: I was hoping for a Devil Wears Prada upset, others were hoping for a Little Miss Sunshine upset - I wouldn't have minded either, as I haven't seen Dreamgirls. But, yeah, this was to be expected I suppose.

BEST DIRECTOR
WINNER: Martin Scorsese, The Departed
PREDICTION: Martin Scorsese, The Departed
COMMENTS: Umm... who didn't predict this?

BEST ACTOR - DRAMA
WINNER: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
PREDICTION: Peter O'Toole, Venus
COMMENTS: I suppose Whitaker is more than just the critics fave, but after that speech, I can't help but think Oscar voters may think twice about giving Whitaker the win. I dunno, whatever. I haven't seen the film, although there was an advert for it during the telecast so it's out soon!

BEST ACTOR - MUSICAL/COMEDY
WINNER: Sasha Baron Cohen, Borat! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
PREDICTION: Sasha Baron Cohen, Borat! ...
COMMENTS: I want Cohen to get an Oscar nomination. Anyone who could stay in character and do that for as long as he did deserves something.

BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA
WINNER: Helen Mirren, The Queen
PREDICTION: Helen Mirren, The Queen
COMMENTS: Moving on...

BEST ACTRESS - MUSICAL/COMEDY
WINNER: Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
PREDICTION: Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
COMMENTS: Fuckin' AYE!! So happy.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
WINNER: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
PREDICTION: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
COMMENTS: I suppose he's on his way to the stage. So freakin' happy that Brad Pitt and Jack Nicholson didn't win. Especially Brad. More on Brad and Waxalena later.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
WINNER: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
PREDICTION: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
COMMENTS: GO BOOMIE!!! Hell yeah. I'm so happy for her. Like, hella happy. Now I just hope she doesn't suck in Dreamgirls when I finally get to see it. Considering none of my fave supporting ladies are anywhere in the mainstream nominations this year apart from Emily Blunt (think Deborra-Lee Furness, Fiona Shaw, Clare-Hope Ashitey, Seema Biswas, Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep) I'm glad Boomie could take it.

BEST SCREENPLAY
WINNER: Peter Morgan, The Queen
PREDICTION: Peter Morgan, The Queen
COMMENTS: Thank god Arriaga didn't get this, which most seemed to be predicting (not me!) Well deserved too, I must say.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
WINNER: Alexandre Desplat, The Painted Veil
PREDICTION: Alexandre Desplat, The Painted Veil
COMMENTS: gdjwnznzpmxjw0-38rnzZmnoijhknLkn weojdfiwwjdsxznzz That about sums up my feelings. Desplat is a genius. I'm gonna go buy that soundtrack on iTunes right now.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
WINNER: Prince, "Song of the Heart" from Happy Feet
PREDICTION: Beyonce and co, "Listen" from Dreamgirls
COMMENTS: So, the two prizes Dreamgirls didn't win were the ones for Beyonce. Awww (not really). It's sort've unlike the HFPA considering they love their pop stars. But I suppose Prince had never won a Globe before so this makes sense. Plus, the song is totally fun. Can Prince win his second Oscar, 21 years after his first for Purple Rain?

BEST ANIMATED FILM
WINNER: Cars
PREDICTION: Happy Feet
COMMENTS: For once, the battle isn't between Pixar and *shudders* Dreamworks. And for a change, I love both of the major two jostling for the win. I'd prefer Happy Feet, but Cars gets me every time (three viewings as of the moment now)

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
WINNER: Letters From Iwo Jima
PREDICTION: Letters From Iwo Jima
COMMENTS: They got to award Clint and Spielberg at once! Oy. This category annoys me. Moving on.

--MY WINNERS {and losers} FROM THE NIGHT--
BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
Meryl Streep

If there is a case for Helen Mirren losing the Oscars, it's Streep and the fact that we'll never get such a great speech out of anyone else. Best bit though was when she told people to demand local cinemas get the movies being awarded at this time of the year. Honourable mention to Sasha Baron Cohen, who didn't accept as Borat, but was hilariously offensive all the same.

WORST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
Forest Whitaker

Forest, what the hell were you doing? I know you were overcome with emotion, but Jesus. What was that? You didn't do yourself any favours with people not sure who to vote for for Best Actor. Would voters rather a big lively speech from Will Smith? A dignified and cheeky speech by Peter O'Toole? Or a mumbling incoherent mess from Whitaker? Eep.

MOST EXCITING WIN
{tie}
Alexandre Desplat and Kyra Sedgwick

Kyra is amazing on The Closer so I was so extatic over that - Emmys next. And then there's Alexandre Desplat who is, as already mentioned, a genius.

MOST BORING WIN
Hugh Laurie

Yawn. This is like Tony Shalhoub in Monk, another show that I cannot watch due to the lead actor. I can't stand listening to Laurie's voice and it's just like Law & Order or CSI. Same story every week with a few variations. Yawn.

MOST JOYFUL ATTENDEE
Rinko Kikuchi

Hi, sourpuss', stop looking so fuckin' depressed and go home you boring wanks. Rinko was actually excited to be there? Even in the background she looked like she was having the time of her life. I almost wanted her to win just to have another Sandra Oh moment. Let me repeat: If it's such a chore to go to an awards show such as the Golden Globes then don't bother you boring wank.

THE MOMENT THAT SORTA PEEVED ME OFF BUT PROBABLY NOBODY ELSE
Alejandro Inarritu commenting on the Mexican film industry and Cuaron and Del Toro, but nobody else. Surely there's more Mexican filmmakers than that?

THE RENEE ZELWEGGER HONOURARY 'WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOU?' AWARD
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie

Could this couple be any more obnoxious and hoity-toity holier than thou? Angelina used to be so cool and Brad Pitt hadn't gone up the proverbial arse, but now looking at these dullards, it's painful. What happened to their faces?! They look like bad wax statues. Ugh. When will people realise that the true sexiest couple is Vincent and Monica. Even their names are better. God, I hate these two. Plus, are they ever going to give a good performance again?


That's all folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alejandro said "my friends Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo Del Toro". I only noticed that today, when I saw his speech on youtube again- it was a very nice thing to do.

Glenn Dunks said...

Hmm. That makes a difference then I suppose.

Still. Would have been nice to shout out to some others, perhaps.

I was just annoyed that Babel won.