July 16, 2006

Happy (Belated) Bastille Day!


Friday was Bastille Day! For all you French people, I hope y'all had an awesome day. For me, however, it means something completely different. FRENCH CINEMA. While I didn't have a chance to sit down and watch a French film (I was majorly busy that day with appointments, work, parties and tuxedo-wearing) I at least thought about it! I am unfortunately quite un-cultured when it comes to French films pre-2000 (when I started watching movies feverishly). For some reason they feel the desire to not release any substantial ones on DVD that don't star Jacques Tati (of whom I am not a fan, unfort). However, if I were to have a mini-french movie marathon, taking titles from the ones I have seen, then It may look something like this (this is in no order of preferance).


Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain (2001, dir. Jean-Pierre Juenet)
One of my favourite films, this one just gets better and better. I know that there are quite a few that are impermable to the charms of Audrey Tautou as Amelie Poulain from Monmatre, but you can count me as one who falls for it every time. This movie makes me happy every single time, which so few films can do. Some of that may indeed have to do with the fact that it co-stars one of the single finest specimen's on the planet (I speak of course of Mathieu Kassovitz - god I could stare at that slideshow all day, couldn't you?!). That and it just simply gorg to look at. It's all so sublime. Amelie was nominated for a tonne of 2001 UMA Awards, but only managed to win Best Scene of the Year).

Du Rififi Chez les Hommes (1955, dir. Jules Dassin)
I'm not sure what the entire French title means (It's title was shortened to merely Rififi around the world), but whatever it is, it's brilliant. It's a story we know all too well - the thiefs who find the perfect job - and what a job! The heist is obviously the centrepiece of the film - a completely score-less and near-silent sequence that feels like it goes on forever (in the good way). Director Jules Dassin (who's still alive and kicking today at age 94) won the Cannes Best Director prize, rightfully so, and Rififi is widely considered one of the defining movies of the genre.

La Femme Nikita (1990, dir. Luc Besson)
One thing that France does quite well is action - and Nikita is probably the best example of it that I have seen. Yes, it's quite a silly Hollywood-centric plot (rebel girl becomes assassin for government instead of going to jail) but it works a treat thanks to the brilliant skill that director Luc Besson provides. Skill that it appears he has lost altogether nowadays, unfortunately. But just watch the movie and see what there once was. Look at the glorious cinematography and choreography (the restaurant sequence is tops, obviously) and then there are the performances, especially by Anne Parillaud as the scared Nikita. The film was one of the first big foreign language hits.

La Haine (1995, dir. Kassovitz)
There's that name again! Mathieu Kassovitz returns, but this time he's behind the camera as the writer and director of this black and white French Romper Stomper of sorts (except it's much better than that Aussie flick). However, no need to be sad that you don't get to stare at Mathieu for 95 minutes, because instead you get to stare at Vincent Cassel! Vincent is one half of the hottest couple on the planet (Brangelina can bite me, they have nothing on Vincent and Monica Bellucci y'all). Hey Vincent, you can come over any time.

Oh, wait! The movie! It's actually not that easy to get distracted from the story being told here, as La Haine is an intense and, yes, provocative piece of cinema. Brilliant use of black and white cinematography add to the claustrophobic feel of the film. This film was like a swift kick to the shin - came completely out of nowhere to me, which is how I like it. Wonderful filmmaking here. Kassovitz won the Cannes prize for Best Director. And yes, there is Vincent, Vincent, Vincent, Vincent, Vincent, Vincent and, er, Vincent. And for all your NSFW Vincent needs, go here (very NSFW). Nuff said.

And just because I wanna have a picture of him right here, here he is again looking suave and, well, fucking hot! (ahem, pardon the momentary lapse in clear judgement)



And that's all for this entry. I hope I didn't ramble too much about hot french men. Before I do go though, I should say who that mystery man is in the banner up the top. That is another French hottie by the name of Romain Duris. He won Bronze for the 2005 UMA Sexpot of the Year for his role in The Beat That My Heart Skipped. Other than that he has appeared in The Spanish Apartment and it's sequel The Russian Dolls, Exils and Merchant & Ivory's Le Divorce. Just stare at him for a while, it's basically like watching a beautiful French movie. Just... not.

Ciao, bellas.

3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

You should check out Jean Vigo's "L'Atalante", gave me the most cinematic related orgasms I've had in ages!

Glenn Dunks said...

I checked my online DVD store and they didn't have any Jean Vigo. Obviously. Because distributers hate Australia.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»