November 6, 2006

Geekdom

Sometimes I can be a real geek. Don't get me wrong, I hate all the Trek things I've seen and I've never been a fan of the Star Wars franchise (the original is sorta alright) and I don't really get into any of those other kinds. I love the Lord of the Rings movies but that's the extent of that. No, my geekiness is reserved for two television series. One, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is pretty much accepted as being one of the greatest television programs ever. Right? Cause it is.

But the second series that I geekify myself over is much less loved (although it shares an equally rabid fanbase): Roswell. I really don't know why, because it's not exactly the greatest show around, but I really got into it. I think it was the mix of aliens and "teenage angst". Maybe if Star Wars was more relatable, I'd like it more? Who knows. So much so was my love for this show that I secretly purchased one of the Roswell High books, but unfortunately they weren't much cop. I think I prefer it as a visual entity.

But, whatever. I looove that show something shocking. It only lasted three seasons though, but that was enough. And it's interesting hearing people say how much they like Katherine Heigl on Grey's Anatomy or Emilie de Raven on Lost cause, uh hello, I saw them first. In fact Heigl's Isabel (yes, she has the same name here as she does on Grey's, HOW FREAKY IS THAT?!) is my favourite character followed by Brendan Fehr's Michael and Majandra Delfino's Maria. The only one I don't like at all is, funnily enough, the main character Max (dullard Jason Behr - how odd is it though that they cast two guys with "ehr" in their surname?). Just like James Van Der Beek on another teen show I was addicted too (but much less hyperactively) Dawson's Creek, the main guy is the most boring and uninteresting of the bunch. Strange.

My favourite season is the second one. It features one of my favourite television storylines in the form of Who Killed Alex? Alex, played by Tom Hanks' son Colin, dies in a car crash that looks like suicide, but fellow human Liz suspects possible alieness. It's really well done over the stretch of about 10 episodes. And it's super fun to watch over and over again. Strange how so many "Who Killed ____?" storylines are ace. Twin Peaks! Veronica Mars! etc.

It was by pure accident that I was perusing my DVD shelf last night looking for something to while away an hour or so, when I realised I hadn't watched season three! Well, I had when it was on tv, but not since purchasing it on DVD. WHY? I don't know. I'd watched the first episode of the season, but what was it. Odd. So last night I basically ended up watching 5 episodes of it. Finally stopping at 4am. Oops.

I love the Isabel storyline in this season and all the rest. The series finale is a favourite of mine as well. I can't wait to see the episodes where all the people they wanted to tell find out.

Another reason I love the show is because of this dude. Nick Wechsler is his name. After Roswell he hasn't really done much for himself other than one-episode bits on crime shows, but on Roswell he's a total dreamboat. I always suspected, perhaps because of what I was going through at the time, that his character was going to come out at some point, but he never did. But, man, he's a sexy buddhist as you can see from the pictures below. I always felt there was a connection between Buffy and Roswell. Two shows that were about otherworldly beings set in a world we all know and recognise. Plus, they both had to fight hard to stay on the air. Plus, in Australia, they were both on at, like, 10.30 at night because ratings were low down here. Bah.


Interesting fact: Heath Ledger auditioned for the role of Max. OMGLOL!

7 comments:

Joe R. said...

Season 3 of Roswell wasn't my favorite, but it certainly had its moments. Chief among them being: 1) Isabel's new hairstyle; 2) the New Year's episode; and 3) the one where Kyle saved Isabel's life. Because, for about thirty seconds there, it was all about Kyle and Isabel. That was one of the two recorded instances of me ever supporting a "shipper" situation (embarassing!).

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, I love Isabel's hair in the third season.

I'm gonna go watch another episode now. It's the one with her wedding to the dude from CSI: Miami!

Anonymous said...

Roswell is perhaps the best tv show out there, because of the alienness being a metaphore for teenage life. Funnily enough, the things you liked most about the show are the things that I disliked the most, but therein lies the magic of this show. It really did have something for everybody. If tptb had left it alone and didn't push the sci-fi element and demand longer story arcs (like Buffy, another fav of mine) I think the show would have lasted longer. The show has spawned thousands, if not more internet based communities, and it's fan base has done, and continue to do, some incredible things in the name of chariety. In fact, the Zeke Lerner Bowl-A-Thon was this past weekend, and both Nick Wechsler and Brenden Fehr attended. And having said that, I've just secured my position in the geek hall of fame, forever.

Glenn Dunks said...

umm... if I got the chance to meet (or make out with, either way) Nick Wechsler and Brenden Fehr I'd be there in a second.

Shobhna said...

Season Three was definitely not my favorite, and I'll have to oppose you on the Isabel storyline, which sucked. SUCKED. The only reason I watched season three was because of Michael and Maria. Brendan and Majandra can make anything bearable.

And I so hear you on the people recognizing Katie and Emilie, I totally giggle and point because I knew of them and loved and worshipped them when they were nobodies. I can't wait for Majandra to get her own big TV show/movie/album so that everyone knows how long I've been a rabid Majandra fan (count it: five years).

Also, CSI: Miami season 4? Also stars Brendan Fehr. And I believe one episode had the actress Julie Benz who used to play Topolsky in early season one. I love when things like that happen. :D

Yay for Nick love! There isn't nearly enough Nick love in our fandom. Everyone's too busy with Jason (and I so so agree with you over him.. BO-ring. And annoying. There've been way too many times when I've wanted to reach through the screen and slap Max's silly little face). I'm totally a season three Kyle/Isabel shipper, and they so would've gotten together in the fourth season I just know it.

I love Roswell because in three short seasons with kind of annoying lead characters (read: Max and Liz) I still fell head over heels in love with the show and it's yet to be curbed at ALL.

And I was just about to tell you about Zeke Lerner's BAT, but I saw majikl has beaten me to it. A friend of mine who went there got a look at Brendan's ass-crack. *sigh*

Glenn Dunks said...

Seriously, when is Majandra gonna record an album? She has a fantastic voice.

And yeah, Max and Liz are both annoying, but Liz less so. When she's not around Max I really like her! I just think Jason Behr is a bad actor period. Even when all he has to do is stand he looks awkward and bad. lol. That really does go towards how much I like the show. It's like if all seven seasons of Buffy, SMG was like series 6 Buffy Summers.

I'm not sure what it is about Brendan Fehr, but he's totally swoon worthy.

Glenn Dunks said...

BTW, hi Shobhna and Majikl. Have y'all replied here before? I'm not sure if you have. Stick around. It's always good to have people around who love Roswell as much as me. We're a rare breed sometimes.