October 5, 2006

Bitching Out

So, I just had a nice rant over at Kris Tapley's blog. He just wrote something that really pissed me off. Like, MAJORLY.

Y'all know that I hate Australian movie release dates, and one thing that goes hand in hand with that is when pesky American film critics (or journos, whatever they happen to be (I don't consider Dave Poland a critic, but he's definitely part of the act) tell me I not only have to see certain movies, but that I have to see them MULTIPLE TIMES!! I'm sorry, but how many of you go and see every movie two or three times? Rarely, I assume. I don't just have money flowing out of my pockets ya know. I can count the number of movies I've seen twice theatrically on my hands.

So, yeah, when critics/journos tell me that to truly appreciate a movie I need to see it multiple times I get really annoyed. Dave Poland did it all last Oscar season, saying Walk the Line gets better and better every time we sees it. Well, wouldncha know it? I could only see the movie ONCE. It's great for Dave to be able to just go see the same movie over and over again (for free?), but to actually tell me I need to see it multiple times to truly "get" it or whatever, it's insulting!

And then there is a more recent pet peeve to do with critics/journos. So, these guys are getting paid to see movies or they choose to go through the quite arduous task of seeing 90% (or however much) of movies that are released and then have the gaul to actually complain (without shame) at not being able to see a certain movie. And before it's even been released!

And that's what lead to me having a tiny bit of a bitch out at Kris' blog.

This is what he wrote today, after seeing The Departed for the second time mind you.

Anyway, "The Departed." Yeah. It still kicks ass. A lot of it. ... Next week, more craziness. Finally seeing "Infamous" after, like, everyone else has seen the thing.


Umm, excuse me, WHAT?

This is what I wrote. I really didn't wanna come of sounding like a whineing bitch, but this is something that gets up me.

Sorry!! I know you meant nothing by it and that it was just an innocent comment and that this is gonna sound really bitchy, but... maybe you should think before writing stuff like "Finally seeing "Infamous" after, like, everyone else has seen the thing."

It's great that you get to see all these movies once, twice, thrice or seventeen times, but most people can't and it's sort of insulting when you bemoan your inability to see a movie that isn't even released to the public yet. And as a non-American it's even more frustrating considering we won't be getting any of these movies until December and through 2007.

I had a similar annoyance with Dave Poland last year when it seemed that every week he was telling us he had seen "Walk the Line" again and that it just KEEPS GETTING BETTER! Yet, people in the real world have enough trouble seeing a movie one time, let alone six.

**this was a rant about a subject that really gets me pissed, so yeah... nothing personal :P**


Like... do you see where I'm coming from? Infamous isn't even released yet, yet he's complaining (or it comes off as complaining) about not being able to see it yet (cry me a river, plz). Like, I probably won't even see Infamous in the cinema, but that's got more to do with not having enough money to just go about seeing every single movie. I'd love to see all these movies, and see them twice, but I can't. I know it didn't sound bad when he typed it, but when I read it I just didn't like it at all. Like, he was so nonchalant. It's as if these sorts of people have no idea about regular people's movie habits. All these critics and journos do it.

And, seriously, it played at the Telluride, Toronto and Venice film festivals. Last time I checked, the total number of people visiting those festivals this year probably equals about .0000001% of the earth's population. And that's probably an over-estimate. And not all of those visitors saw Infamous.

Ugh. If by some random reason, Kris actually clicked on my blog and is reading this (which I doubt. He's probably seeing The Departed again, teehee)... well, I don't mean anything mean by it. It's like when you're pissed off at something and you aim all your anger at one person, ya know? Yeah. This goes to everyone. It just pisses me off when people complain like that. Like, boohoo. How about having to wait for half a year.

5 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

I am completely with you on this one. It is frustrating, plus second viewings are immensely overrated, and no movie should demand to be seen twice to "get" it. It's just silly. You may like it more or less with future viewings, but there's no need to do it for didactic purposes.

And re: release dates. They suck. Big time.

Yaseen Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yaseen Ali said...

I guess he means industry insiders when he says "everyone else". But even if he didn't, I still find Tapley incredibly arrogant (especially when one disagrees with him.) He's very good at the predictions though and I like some of his reviews (even if I don't agree with them), so that's why I keep a readership. But you're right, sometimes his attitude is unattractive.

Barry said...

Totally off topic...but Glenn, right? Have you ever seen Requiem for a Dream? I just finished watching it and whoa.....one of the best movies and most disturbing movies I have ever seen...... I was stunned

Javier Aldabalde said...

Uh, Tapley's a bitch, always has been. And honestly I don't think he's good enough to make up for it.