November 7, 2006

Nathaniel's Movie Meme

I got tagged. And by none other than Nat. This movie-themed meme is gonna be super-fun. Enjoy. I get to tag three people at the end, so you better do it, bitches.

1. Popcorn or candy?

Well, it depends. If I'm about to sit down to a serious movie, I kinda prefer neither. If I'm seeing a movie by myself I prefer candy (typically maltesers). But if I'm with friends (which is usually the case) and we're not seeing something like United 93 then it's popcorn. Popcorn all the way!

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.

I've seen a few of these movies over the last year or so (such as The Godfather trilogy), but there are still a whole tonne of them. I think the title that I keep trying to see but never actually doing so is Schindler's List. Many other classic titles are either hard to find down here or not available at all.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?

I'm gonna limit this to stuff that's occured in my Oscar-watching years. Otherwise i wouldn't know where to start. Now, I'm not going to take it off of Halle Berry for Monster's Ball because, well, there are just so many other worthy contenders for the prize and I suppose the whole "first black woman" thing was good. I'm not even gonna take it off of Renee Zellweger for Cold Mountain because if she didn't win it then she would've been nominated another 2 times since. And, shock of shocks, I'm not even going to steal it off of Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby or Jamie Foxx for Ray - two of my most despised winners of recent years because without them to insult and barrate who else is there (apart from Paul Giamatti?)?? So, no, I'm going to take it off of RON HOWARD for his "direction" (read: followed the template from a directing-for-dummies book) of A Beautiful Mind. I would then give it to the best director of our generation, Mr David Lynch for his work on Mulholland Drive. That is directing, folks.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?

Okay, I wouldn't look anywhere near as cool, fashionable or sexy in it, but the red jacket, white tee and denim jeans worn by James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause? How about a Hell Yes!

5. Your favorite film franchise is...

Hmmm. Whenever I consider this question there are always too answers: The Scream franchise and the Terminator franchise. I even heart the third installments of each of these series, despite the general concensus being that they're shithouse.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?

I'm excluding dead people, unfortunately

1. Hugh Jackman, cause duh. He's Hugh freakin' Jackman. Plus he and Meryl (see below) could do a duet
2. Jamie Bell, cause then I could try and turn him homo and we could live forever and ever (remember, we're only 5 months apart in age)
3. Gina Gershon, cause we need some sexy profanity-laced laughs, plus me and her can recreate my favourite Showgirls scenes as light entertainment between meals
4. Nicole Kidman, so I can be in her presence. She and Hugh would be able to share many a story cause they're old friends.
5. Meryl Streep, cause she's a hoot and she's smart and she's probably really interesting.

I'd serve them whatever my cook decided to make (cause bitch plz, if I'm living in a world where famous people can come to dinner with me, I also live in a world where I have a chef working for me, okay!)

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?

They should have to stand at the exit of the cinema when the movie finishes and people can take their suitable brand of justive out on them. They're horrible cretenous creatures.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.

Well, The Bride knows the five point palm trick (whatever it was called) so that would be pretty damn useful, but I can't see her getting away with carrying around that giant sword in many places. Still, she knows how to handle a gun as well, so The Bride it is. I mean, she can take of 88 crazy Japanese men, that's pretty darn impressive!

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?

The final scene of The Blair Witch Project. Terrifying.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding comedy and drama) is?

Well, musicals and horror are two genres that, when I really like the films, I REALLY like them. But they are filled with just as much crap as good stuff. But, I'd still say them because I get a general thrill outta watching them and I actively seek them out (unlike comedies or whatever) and I like to see as many as possible even if they are bad.


11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?

I greenlight a bunch of musicals with good directors and stars (think Hugh Jackman). I greenlight some good horror titles. I rid Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen, Hilary Swank, Jamie Foxx, Paul Giamatti and various others from my studio. I axe all comedies that cost over $75 million. I axe all dramas that haven't cast someone talented in the lead. I will create several titles that cost a small amount, but that would play well in the arthouses and eventually be great Oscar candidates but would appear to be surprises and I could go "Wow! We just didn't expect this film to do as well as it is. It's the little movie that could!". I'd limit CGI animated movies to 2 a year. One in the first half, one in the second - but they must be of quality and must not be filled to the brim with NAMES, cause that's just lazy and boring. I wouldn't greenlight a single remake unless it was of something that was crap in the first place and that would actually turn out good this time around (so no When a Stranger Calls moments of crapiness first AND second time around). Also, sequels will be kept to 2 a year, so as that way not to burn out all possible franchises in one go (too many sequels in one year means people get tired of them all bar a few)

12. Bonnie or Clyde?

Clyde cause... ya know... he's Warren Beatty.


13. Who are you tagging to answer this survey?

I tag Adam, Emma and Simon. DO IT!!!

3 comments:

Middento said...

Oh my goodness. I just posted my answers to the meme and then, out of curiosity, thought I'd see what others posted... and I can't believe we picked the same costume!

Anonymous said...

WARREN!!!

Glenn Dunks said...

Middento, I'm gonna have to check your meme now!

Arden, calm! Settle Down! I know it's hard, but I don't want a rabid foaming-at-the-mouth Arden around here.