June 9, 2006

Nat's Top 20 Actors of the Aughts

So, the Top 20 of Nat's Top 100 Actors of the Aughts continued tonight. Now we got Matt Damon (17) and Colin Farrell (18). I had thought of Farrell but just figured he hadn't had enough good roles (although I did love him in The New World and thought he was great in Intermission) and Matt Damon I had suspected. But with both of them I just didn't think they'd place that highly so I didn't include them. Updated predix below. I'm actually getting worried Geoffrey Rush isn't gonna place. Whether you love him to hate him, you gotta admit he deserves to be somewhere on a list of 100 actors of this decade. Just check out the IMDb and see the amount of stuff he's done (sorta helps that by some wacky coincidence I've seen every single one of them)


1. Jude Law
2. Gael Garcia Bernal
3. George Clooney
4. Johnny Depp
5. Peter Sarsgaard
6. Christian Bale
7. Ewan McGregor
8. Tony Leung
9. Bill Murray
10. Ian McKellen
11. Jake Gyllenhaal
12. Jim Broadbent
13. Viggo Mortensen
14. Ralph Fiennes
15. Clive Owen
16. Geoffrey Rush
17. Matt Damon
18. Colin Farrell
19. Paul Bettany
20. Mark Ruffalo

6 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

Geoffrey Rush??? No way he's making the shortlist. As for Gael's placement that's just crazy Glenn. I say he ends up #2 at the very least. Hell he should!!!

I'm obsessed with this myself.

Glenn Dunks said...

Well, if he's not then I call major foul. Nat nominated him for a FB award for Pirates of the Caribbean, and he also had Quills, Frida, Munich, Finding Nemo, The Tailor of Panama, Lantana (which I don't think Nat saw actually, oh well), The Life and Death of Peter Sellers plus his hilarious opening cameo in Intolerable Cruelty. I know Nat probably doesn't agree, but there's at least three brilliant performances there plus some great small roles.

How can a man with THAT output not rank in the top 100 at all?

Hell, by all rights he should be Top 3, but it's not my list. I still think he'll place. If he doesn't then Nat's perception of OFF (*scowl*)

Javier Aldabalde said...

He usually places Rush in the "hall of the overrated". Just doesn't seem like he would give him the Top 20 treatment at all. Hmm....

adam k. said...

It does seem like Hoffman, Rush and Damon would've ended up SOMEwhere on the list, just not nearly this high... weird.

And yeah, Gael will likely be #2, if not higher. You also didn't mention Y Tu Mama Tambien. He has that, Bad Education, Motorcycle Diaries, El Crimen de Padre Amaro, Amores Perros and more.

Glenn Dunks said...

I thought of Daniel Craig also, but thought there wasn't that much of him.

Nat has routinely said he dislikes the sight of Cage so I doubt one performance is enought to get him in the Top 20. Same for Phillip Seymour Hoffman. And I don't believe he likes Tom Hanks too much either. Catch Me wasn't a Tom Hanks movie, but yeah Cast Away was good but The Terminal was horrendous. I also thought of Smith but other than Ali...?

But you're right about Murray. How could I forget him? I must've thought he had already appeared.

Adam, I thought you meant Dustin Hoffman and I was gonna be all "He's already been on the list" and then I realised my brain is worthless and I shot myself.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Rush and Caine officially out; Damon and Farrell (!) in.