April 15, 2006

Glenn's 'Top 5 Movies That Changed My Life' List - #3


3. Moulin Rouge! (2001, dir. Baz Luhrmann)

If for no other reason, it was Moulin Rouge! that made me the Oscar-obsessive that I am today. I remember seeing this movie for the first time, being shocked by the first half hour and then being mesmerised for the rest. I was in a packed 600-seat cinema and almost everyone clapping at the end of a song (that never happens) and then at the end, of which I sat and watch every second of (I saw this film 6 times in the cinema and stayed till the very end of the credits each and every time).

The movie became my instant favourite of all time. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I then logged onto a website called Oscar Watch as it sounded pretty good. I read American reviews and such and OW reported it was an Oscar contender, I was sort of shocked. I had been watching the oscars for years now but this was the year I took real interest. I eventually found other sides such as The Film Experience which I fell in love with instantly when Nathaniel said we might as well call it the Moulin Rouge Experience! I watched as Moulin Rouge! can-canned away with the Producers Guild Award and many others. The debate over whether Nicole would get a nomination or whether she's split with The Others (as we know, she did indeed get one), wondering if Jim Broadbent would be recognised for this or Iris as we know, he was nommed -and won- for Iris although we know better, right?!), the love-hate relationship the film had. It eventually got a swag of noms althought #4 on this list took the spot of Baz Luhrmann's in the Director line-up which caused controversy galore down here for, like, a week. It won two (disappointing, but it was all the rage here in Australia!)



Ever since then I have been an Oscar watcher from the day after the awards to the day of. It has also affected me personally. I have met some kick-ass people (such as the people in this whole blogosphere, include amongst others, Nathaniel R who I had the destinct honour of actually meeting a few weeks back. It also meant that I started up this little blog here that I'm typing for right now. So you could say that Moulin Rouge! is the reason my homework is being neglected. Way to go Baz!

It's currently my #3 of all time (see the sidebar) but that doesn't mean that every time I watch it I go to myself "I really think this ought to be number 1" (i do it every time!)

No comments: