April 15, 2006

Glenn's 'Top 5 Movies That Changed My Life' List - #2


2. Dick Tracy (1990, dir. Warren Beatty)

Now, this might seem like an unorthadox title, but here's the reason:

This is the first film I ever saw in a cinema.

Or, it's the first I remember. I remember sitting in the dark room, looking up at the screen and seeing the colours. I don't really remember much (i vaguely remembered scenes which I remembered all over again when I rewatched it a couple of years ago). I also remember one big detail: MADONNA. I was 5 at the time and her music had been a vague presence in my life. I had always watched the music programs "Video Hits" when it was on every Saturday and Sunday morning (it's still on, but I watch with much less regularity) and remember seeing her "Express Yourself" video many times, along with "Papa Don't Preach". Those were the only two I think I know, although when "Vogue" debuted I was in lurve.

Anyway, I remember seeing this movie and as I said before I am a very visual person. I respond to it (all the movies on this list, except for #1, are actually very visually precise movies). I loved it all. Other than that I don't really remember that much about it, but I know for a fact that that's where (deep inside) my love for films began, as well as my love for Madge.



For as long as I can remember I loved watching the movies on television. Whether they were good or bad I'd watch them. It was watching movies whenever they were on (and I could watch them, obviously) lead me to discovering many titles. I still watch films on the television although usually not on commercial networks. Most of the movies I watch are SBS or ABC where there are no adverts and they're in widescreen ALL the time. It's come to the point where I've seen most of the movies post-1997 that were big. The arty ones will be on the other networks.

Anyway, revisiting Dick Tracy a great experience. I love that movie more than words. So I'll leave it at that.

No comments: