April 15, 2006

Glenn's 'Top 5 Movies That Changed My Life' List - #4

4. Mulholland Drive (2001, dir. David Lynch)

Two words.

David.
Lynch.


I'm sure I would've come across David Lynch's oeuvre at some point - most probably because of Blue Velvet of which I am a huge fan. But it was Mulholland Drive that was the first and definitely not the last. I find it cool to know that it was released on October 12 in the USA (which bodes well for Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antionette which is released smack-bang on my birthday - Oct. 13, anyway). However, it wasn't released in Australia until the very end of January 2002. I had heard things about it and it sounded tres interesting, however nothing could've prepared me for it.

It blew me away. Just... astounded me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had heard about how weird it was and at about the half way mark I turned to my friend and said "this ain't so weird!" (we had been discussing it prior to the viewing - at the cinema, i'm so happy to say I saw this at the cinema in one of earliest times I can remember a real arty movies coming to Geelong) and then about 10 minutes, characters were switched, places weren't places anymore, time was skipping, everything was going hitzy-fitzy on us and wouldn't ya know it? I think I liked it even more.

I watched it sail through Oscar-season yet only receive one mesely nod, albeit in an all-too excellent spot (Best Director) however I was sad to see my Naomi (who was the victim of a cruely miscalcuted campaign) and Angelo Badamenti go unnoticed (although it didn't sting like some others have recently).

But, still, the reason it is here is for David Lynch. After viewing this movie I promptly seeked out anything Lynch I could find. I saw the entire series (seasons 1 and 2) of "Twin Peaks" (on VHS, duh - RELEASE SEASON 2 ON DVD, BITCHES!), Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (both of which I recently purchased on grand-spankin new Special Edition DVDs!!!) and Wild at Heart. "Peaks" was borrowed from a friend of my mothers, Wild and Lost Highway from my brother's friend and TP:FWWM on VHS cause that's all that was available. I eventually saw Eraserhead, The Elephant Man and Dune (which is the only one I hate) and I'm still trying to hunt down any copy of The Straight Story. I hope to eventually see his short films, "Rabbits", "On The Air" and anything else he's done. That Chris Isaak video clip is cool, though. But really - the proof in the metaphorical pudding. 4 of his movies are in my top 100 (and a fifth and sixth just on the outside), tied with Hitchcock and that's IT. Amazing.

Needless to say, I anticipate Inland Empire with baited breath. eep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Llorando (Crying)" will forever be one of those moments of pure cinematic magic. I was riveted (not that I wasn't from the first frame, but I mean really riveted, on all levels of emotion).

Glenn Dunks said...

So true. However, the moment that I took a deep breath during and realised something mindbendingly amazing was gonna happen was when they arrive home after Silencio and Rita pulls the hatbox out and turns around and... "Betty?"