November 28, 2005

Oscar Thought

Charlize Theron will not receive a Best Actress nomination for North Country.

My theory? WHERE HAS IT GONE? Nobody remotely cares about it (except for Ebert, but he cares about every. single. movie. this. oscar. season. <-or, pretty close anyway) and it hasn't been mentioned in a while, even by Oscar prognasticators.

My theory to the top 5 at the moment?

Joan Allen (Upside of Anger)
Judi Dench (Mrs Henderson Presents)
Felicity Huffman (Transamerica)
Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk The Line)

I've thrown Huffman into the mix for some unknown reason. It was her or Gwyneth Paltrow (Proof), and I figured Huffman has and will have more (at Oscar time) heat.

Joan Allen, I think, will get the NBR's Best Actress, just like Diane Keaton 2 years back. She seemed like a "light weight" contender yet suddenly just felt obvious. Allen is indeed fantastic in the film so I don't see why it shouldn't happen.

I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling Sin City is going to get SOME form of major citation from someone...

I don't know why though. It wasnt even that great.

Ciao!

3 comments:

adam k. said...

I agree that Theron won't make it, but who to replace her with? This really is the thinnest best actress year EVER. If Allen doesn't make it, I'll cry. But even if she does, who gets that 5th spot? I have my doubts about Huffman. I originally thought the film looked fun, but isn't it getting bad reviews? Is she really that good in it? It just doesn't look like an oscar film. It doesn't have that dramatic oomph that they like in their trans star turns. But who else would even make it? I dunno. And is Huffman comedy or drama? It seems like all 5 of these women could conceivably by put in comedy, which is insane. But I love that oscar is finally being forced to recognize good humor.

Glenn Dunks said...

yeah, it's crazy thin this year. I'm thinking Q'orianka Kilcher (sp?) is gonna make it if she goes lead.

I spose it'll be one of those big surprises like Keisha Castle Hughes AND Samantha Morton that one year.

I just threw Huffman in cause she's popular. I don't know. It's a weird category.

-Glenn

adam k. said...

I really can't get a handle of Huffman. I just can't tell if this is a strictly indie spirit kind of perf or another Charlize Theron in Monster. I guess it's plenty early yet.

Given the thinness, Judi, Joan and Reese are really starting to look like locks. I think the other two spots will be shifty.

And how funny would it be if Q'Orianka makes it in lead and becomes the THIRD unknown red-skinned nominee in three years?