November 28, 2006

Random Box Office Figures

Looking through last weekend's US box office I just thought I'd make note a few things.

*George Miller's Happy Feet is at $99.26mil after 10 days. Way to go George and crew! So happy that this is a success.

*Darren Aronofski's The Fountain is sorta stiffing. Over the five-day weekend it made $5.45mil. Still, that doesn't hurt it's Golden Globe chances. I predicted Jackman for a Best Actor in a Drama nomination and considering Nicole Kidman got nominated for the equally-divisive/equally-box-office-lite Birth, it's still possible. And they seem to like Jackman. He was nominated for Kate & Leopold of all things.

*Chris Nolan's The Prestige topped $50mil, which makes me happy

*Pedro Almodovar's Volver is still going great. In it's fourth weekend it raised it's cinema count to 30 (up by 24) made over $500,000 for a running total of $1.33mil, with plenty of room for expansion. It averaged $17,070 btw.

*Little Miss Sunshine is about $1mil away from $60mil, which bodes well for a re-expansion when it gets awards loving.

*Clint Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers won't make it to $35mil until Letters from Iwo Jima possible re-raises interest in the really quite silly war film.

*Marc Shainberg's Nicole Kidman starrer Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus has made a stunning $148,913 in three weeks. Just... whoa. Even Copying Beethoven has made more!

3 comments:

adam k. said...

Yeah, Little Miss Sunshine should be up to Sideways numbers after a re-expansion. I wish it were as great as I thought the ifrst time I saw it, but I still like it a lot.

Too bad for The Fountain. It might pick up a little bit of steam from good audience word-of-mouth (actual PEOPLE seem to like it, as opposed to critics). I do think Hugh has a good shot at a globe nod, cause they do like him, and JESUS, what a year (I just saw The Prestige). But there aren't too many spots left.

I'd say
1) Whitaker
2) Smith
3) O'Toole
4) DiCaprio
all get in before him. And I feel like they might nominate Damon for one of his movies, too. But I'm crossing my fingers that Hugh snags the 5th spot. If they want to reward his mega-year, nominating his Fountain perf is the way to do it (plus, he deserves to win it for that one alone, screw his other 5 films).

I really love Hugh a lot this year.

Glenn Dunks said...

I thought Hugh was really great in The Prestige so I can't wait even more to see his performance in The Fountain.

I still don't think Peter O'Toole is such a sure thing at the globes.

RC said...

interesting...i like your random observations.