October 30, 2006

I'm totally Strasberg

Robbie Williams
"The Actor"

italics denote the female reply in song.

VERSE ONE:
First you can't act, now you can't stop,
What's my motivation?
I used to like you... a lot,
I was the class nerd
Exactly who I'm s'posed to be,
I'm totally Strasberg
You play a doctor on TV,
What you're doing is SO brave

VERSE TWO:
Deep down you're dirty but you try,
I'm a good person
The truth would break you so you lie,
I want my work to matter
It's in the choices that you make,
I want to inspire
No talent, just fate.

CHORUS:
I don't know where you begin,
I end, we start
Again,
They need, you love,
We all watch
The Actor Acting.

VERSE THREE:
Good from far but far from good,
All I have is my instinct
You love to act, I wish you would,
It's not acting, it's re-acting
Act like you're not from out of space,
When I'm on stage I feel alive
You know ambition isn't grace,
For me it's the craft

VERSE FOUR:
Made of Sex, Maida Vale,
Would I do better in New York
You are the Alpha Male,
I'm just too pretty for that role
You are the good, you are the great,
The words have power
Now let me fill you with my hate.

(CHORUS)

MIDDLE 8:
Monroe,
Monroe
Barrymore,
Barrymore
Mansfield,
MANSFIELD
D-d-d-d-Dame d-Dame d-Dame Judi Dench,
Judi Dench
Madonna Ritchie,
Ritchie
Ritchie, Ritchie, Ritchie.
Streep,
Close,
Hepburn,
Burt Reynolds.
Niven,
Danson,
Bundy,
BARDOT.
Joaquin,
Joaquin,
Joaquin,
Joaquin,
Joaquin,
Joaquin
Joaquin,
Joaquin
Joaquin,
Joaquin
SWANK.

(CHORUS)

OUTRO SPEECH:
In the future,
Everybody will be anonymous for fifteen minutes,
You are, we all are a test card,
The stars of CCTV,
We ARE the nature of the beast.


I'm sorry for all this Robbie-love, but jesus this is a good album. "The Actor" is one of the standouts. The number of actors who has said "I want my work to matter" or "for me it's the craft" or "I was the class nerd" (sorry, I do not believe Jessica Alba or Jennifer Lopez were ever nerds) is funny. The female reply is great. How great is the line "You love to act, I wish you would" Robbie is so cheeky. And he even gets his own "Vogue" moment!

[SRC]

No comments: