August 5, 2006

Various Things Y'all


So last night was fun. I saw Rent with some friends. We thought it was actually gonna be quite bad. Ya know, very amatuer-like production, but it turned out to be really good. The actors were fine, their singing was great, the sound was good, and it was just really good. It's no wonder that Rentheads go to see it so much. It is addictively entertaining. And I can definitely see how well it fits for the stage. The people I saw it with were at various stages of knowledge about the show. Georgie and I had seen the movie but nothing else, Hannah had heard a few songs but nothing else, and Mick didn't know a single thing. He didn't know it was all about gays and AIDS. And when Angel came out dressed in his/her Santa outfit, I could tell he was, er, quite surprised.

After that though the girls and I came back to my place and watched The Breakfast Club. I have a poster in my room of that movie and everything Georgie sees it she says she wants to see it. So we did. And omg I love that movie so much. Like, words cannot express, really. Anthony Michael Hall is so freakin' adorable! Just brilliant.

I was looking at the trivia page for The Breakfast Club and omg I read this!

The original running time of The Breakfast Club (1985) was about two and a half hours. Thinking the film would not be a hit, Universal Pictures trimmed the running time down to the modern 97 minute version. The studio then destroyed the negatives of the deleted scenes. John Hughes said in a "Premiere" magazine article that he has the only complete copy.


Seriouslyomg! John Hughes needs to get that on DVD and release it! I would pay top dollar to see a whole extra hour of my favourite high schoolers. Also, did you know the group discussion that takes up, essentially, the last half hour of the film was improvised. Holy hell. I have much more respect for these guys now. *sigh*. LOVE.


How come I hadn't seen the above photo from Elilio Estevez's Bobby? I am anticipating this film a lot, and it recently got accepted into the Venice Film Festival. I hope it's great. I have faith in that (massive) cast.

So I got woken up at 10 o'clock this morning by the sounds of somebody mowing their lawn, then whippersnipping their lawn and the electric-trimming their hedge! My god. At 10am on a bloody Saturday for crying out loud! Haven't they heard of people wanting to sleep. Blah. Idiots.

4 comments:

Yaseen Ali said...

Why on earth would Universal destroy the extra footage? What purpose did it serve?

I share your sentiments; the DVD right now is unacceptably barebones. They need to do an anniversary edition with both versions included, along with a commentary track with the cast, retrospective docs, etc.

Glenn Dunks said...

omg i would LOVE a cast commentary! And most of them are out of their drug phases now so it would be coherent!

I think it was standard throughout the decade to destroy anything not needed. I think a lot the deleted scenes on old movies are held by people assosciated with the movie.

But, seriously... 2 and a half hours of the breakfast club! I need it. It's like crack.

RC said...

that's crazy about the extra footage...they really do need to release that.

i just posted on bobby just a little while ago...this is the type of film no one's talking about because they're talking about Dreamgirls and even Goya's Ghost...

this seems like it has potential and if no one else is going to talk about it, i certainly will.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

par3182 said...

is that helen hunt in that pic? what did we do to deserve her stinkin' up the screen again?