August 5, 2006

Thank God It's Clip Friday Saturday

It's actually Saturday, but I didn't have enough time to do it yesterday so I'm doing it now. I suppose it's still actually Friday for some of y'all!

Clip #1:Robin Williams and Chorus perform "Blame Canada" at the Academy Awards
This is most definitely one of the single greatest nominations for the Academy Awards ever! Not just in Best Original Song, but in the whole shebang. Whod've thought that a song that blames Canada for everything that's wrong in the world would be nominated for an Oscar, especially from an extremely vulgar animated musical movie called South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, based on a television program with crude animation? And then to make the whole thing into a big musical number such as this starring Robin Williams? I can't say I'm surprised it lost, but it really did deserve to win (yes, moreso than "Save Me" by Aimee Mann). The South Park movie is one of my favourite musicals (hell, favourite movies) and I'm glad the Academy nominated something this movie (lyrics wise, "Blame Canada" is the best, but there's better numbers in the movie) and gave it the production it deserved.

Clip #2: Liza Minelli performs "Losing My Mind" on Top of the Pops in 1989
Man, I've already mentioned how this it the gayest song ever (Minelli, Pet Shop Boys, Sondheim), and while the video clip wasn't as camp as I would've hoped, this clip is indeed about as gay as it could get without shirtless male backup dancers. As the announcer says at the end though, she was looking great! But if you ask me, she looked best in her video for "Don't Drop Bombs". God, Results is a great album.

Clip #3: Brokeback Mountain footage from the BAFTAs
See, now this would've been a better Oscar occurance! It's great watching this video. So good seeing all the Brokeback people and winners. Jake is slightly awkward whenever he's on stage, and he doesn't thank Anne Hathaway in his Best Supporting Actor win (yet he thanks Michelle! tsk tsk Jake), but... aww, he's so adorable! But really, he was the best nominee on both BAFTA and Oscar night. And also, are those seats leopard print?

Clip #4: Meryl Streep's 'Devil' Miranda set to Music
Loved the start of this clip, which I found at Adam's Inner Life, set to Madonna's "Vogue" and then it turns to Tracy Bonham's "Bitch". It's very awesome, and very funny. Loves it to bits. I haven't seen The Devil Wears Prada yet (it's not out here yet unfortunately) but I now that I have seen this I'm even more certain she will get her, what? 14th Academy Award nomination? Something like that. We saw the trailer at The Lake House and as the movie was starting we all "I just wanna watch The Devil Wears Prada!" Especially now considering how awful The Lake House was.

Enjoy.

4 comments:

RC said...

i remember all the thoughts w/ the southpark movie...it was like "what song will they nominate"

and then once blame canada was accepted it was "whose going to sing it"

if only celine dion would have sung it :-)

Yaseen Ali said...

I loved that Gyllenhaal won the BAFTA, but that ode to Jamie Foxx at the beginning is cringe-worthy. I can't even watch it anymore, that's how much it embarrasses me.

adam k. said...

I was also embarrassed for Jake Gyllenhaal doing the Jamie Foxx thing... actually his whole speech seemed a little awkward.

I love that the person who made the Meryl/Miranda video is named vainqueen.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Botox structure Buy venlafaxine online wellbutrin xl blood pressure Aze patanol Digital camera battery charger how do rechargeable batteries Lun cancer http://www.divorce-form-6.info/Acyclovir.html