August 7, 2006

Glenn's Top 101 Songs of All Time: 50-41

The Top 50 begins!

101-91
90-81
80-71
70-61
60-51

50.
Artist: The Smashing Pumpkins
Song: Disarm
Album: Siamese Dream (1993)
Watch The Video
I could've chosen any number of Pumpkin songs (mainly "Zero", "Tonight Tonight", "Rocket"), but this one is my favourite. It's moodly and melodic. Artistically it's a marvel. The song comes late on their Siamese Dream album and it almost comes as a shock as to how good it is (especially considering the whole album is pretty swell). While their Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness album featured more slower songs, this one remains the best. Billy Corgan's vocals rip through the song as if his life depended on it. Just excellent all round, really. Plus, the video is good too.

49.
Artist: Visage
Song: Fade to Grey [12" Mix]
Album: Visage (1980)
Watch the Video
Without a doubt, "Fade to Grey" has one of the best openings ever. That synth slowly leading into the vocal intro is just unbelievable. One of the greatest new wave songs ever (no matter who you ask), "Fade to Grey" is quite depressing, really. But just listening to the bit where the sing "We fade to grey" gives me tingles. The video is a killer too! I wish artists were this visually fucked up today. Keep in mind that the 12" version is the best because it's longer and I love the track that much.

48.
Artist: Aretha Franklin
Song: Think
Album: Aretha Now (1968)
Watch the Video*
Nope, not my favourite Aretha track (that will be in the next segment of the countdown), but how can you NOT love this track? Aretha, quite simply, is vocally stunning here. Peerless, really. Her voice just soars over this funkified song. And to think, all this stunning music and the runtime is a mere 2 minutes and 16 seconds. Artists could learn a thing or two from Aretha!

*Please note the scene included is actually Aretha performing "Think" in The Blues Brothers because I couldn't find a clip of the song itself. It's still hella-enjoyable. Aretha was a hoot in that movie!

47.
Artist: Machine
Song: There But For The Grace Of God, Go I
Album: N/A
Watch the Video
A high octane disco classic "There but for the Grace of God, Go I" is nearly as good as disco got. I really don't have anything to say about this song. It speaks for itself.

*Please note that the video is not the actual video, but one somebody made featuring clips from Spike Lee's awesome Summer of Sam (in which the song featured). It actually really well done and it even included bits that weren't in the movie!

46.
Artist: Girls Aloud
Song: Biology
Album: Chemistry (2005)
Watch the Video
An example of how good pop music can be. Naturally, many automatically dismiss Girls Aloud because they are a girl group (there's five of them) that came from a television talent show, but if people bothered to listen to their albums (which are getting better with each new release after Sound of the Underground, What Will The Neighbours Say? and now Chemistry) they would realise that, just like the Sugababes (another ace British pop group) they are consistantly making great pop music. Their lyrics are fucked up, the beats are insane and the song is just unreal! The song is essentially one big giant chorus and an insanely catchy one at that! Just excellent. The video is delightfully delirious as well!

45.
Artist: Prince
Song: Raspberry Berét
Album: Around the World in a Day (1985)
Watch the Video
Prince can masterfully mix pop, funk and rock and it was never more obvious than with "Raspberry Berét". The reason I think I love this song so much though is because of the lyrics. Something about the line "She walked in through the out door" just makes me wanna scream BEST SONG LYRIC EVER. I don't know why. It's ridiculously fun and sexy and the video clip is derange I tell you! He's wearing a suit with clouds on it for crying out loud!!

44.
Artist: The Supremes
Song: You Keep Me Hangin' On
Album: The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland (1966)
Watch the Video
The only version of this song I had heard until a couple of years ago was the moody Kim Wilde version, and I always loved that. But then I heard this and was blown away. This is how it was meant to be alright! Diana Ross' voice is amazing here (whether it would've been better with Flo singing is something I'd love to know), and the music is just sublime. I can only imagine the reaction a song like this caused. I love the footage at the end of the clip too. They mention Australia!!

43.
Artist: The Who
Song: Baba O'Reilly
Album: Who's Next (1971)
Watch the Video*
The song with the longest intro of the countdown! And yes, this is the "Teenage Wasteland" song, incase you weren't aware. It has that great guitar and those fantastic lyrics. I can't explain it anymore. It's just brilliant. How odd, this is the second song to feature in this section that was used in Summer of Sam.

*Please note, the clip is a live version from 2001.

42.
Artist: Madonna
Song: Express Yourself
Album: Like a Prayer (1989)
Watch the Video
Okay, here's the thing - I don't actually think this is that great of a song (although, for 1989 it sounds very modern), but I just have such a soft spot for it (and the video clip). I find it slightly funny that I found myself attracted to this song the way that I did. A song about feminism (and the satin sheet, er, stuff) shouldn't normally be a 5-year-olds cup of tea, but I've always loved it. The beat, the strong vocals and lyrics. And yes, the video clip. I'm fairly certain it was this song that turned me forever homosexual. Madonna + Muscle Queens = HELLO WORLD! Seriously - THIS VIDEO IS THE REASON I AM GAY, or, it was a definite factor. Watching the video now is incredibly strange. All those muscular men must've set something off in my brain. And while she looks sublime in that green dress my fave look is Madge in her suit!! My god, she looks great. And... yeah, I know. GAY! Moving on.

41.
Artist: Janet Jackson
Song: Escapade
Album: Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989)
Watch the Video
Thinking about Janet makes me so sad. These days she's barely an artist (she doesn't sing anymore that's for sure, she just whispers and moans over dull beats), but for a while she was Madonna's equal. This album is classic (it's better than Madge's 1989 Prayer release imho) and this is one of my faves. It's fun, it's, yes i'm gonna say it, sunny and it feels like Summer. It's breezy! (lol, that reminds me of that episode of "Friends" when Monica was all "I'm breezy!" and everyone is all "You don't say you're breezy. It totally negates the breezy!" lol, right, back to Janet) and it makes me wanna dance. The video is fantastic, too. Janet, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! Your new song is woeful.

No comments: