July 30, 2006

Glenn's Top 101 Songs of All Time: 101-91

Nathaniel's latest musical musings got me in a mood to post this list that I've had for a while. Obviously, I had to go in and add a whole bunch of songs that I discovered since I last adjusted the list. And I did a whole lot of switching and swapping. I've decided to exclude certain types of songs. Instrumentals are out. If they weren't the list would be swamped with film music and tracks like Moby's "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters" would be contending for #1. I also excluded showtunes. I know they're songs and a lot are better than most of what's on the list, but I really they're completely different beasts of burdon.

I admit that this list isn't at all "The Best 101 Songs of All Time". It's just my favourite 101. At this moment in time. I have yet to peruse the music of the majority of music from before the '80s (although there is plenty of pre-'80s music). Hell, I'm seriously not even that well-versed on '80s and '90s music, but I've done the best I can considering I was born in 1985. There are more recent songs that, while I know I will love them forever, may not forever be ranked this high. Like all lists though, there are many songs that I love just as much as these 101 but I had to stop somewhere, and 101 seemed like as good a number as any (I really wanted to include #101).

So just think of as this: On July 30 2006, These are Glenn's favourite 101 songs

BTW, I may be off with some of the albums and years and such. I'm making the best I can with what Amazon and YouTube gives me.

101.
Artist:The Human League
Song: Don't You Want Me Baby
Album: Dare (1981)
Watch The Video
This is just one of those songs that makes you want to get up and sing. There's a reason why this is a kareoke klassik. The Human League were clearly one of the greatest New Wave bands, and this song is my favourite. I'm not sure if it's their best, but it's definitely one of their most lyrically inspired. The video clip is also one of my favourites too. I think it's the whole making-a-film thing.

100.
Artist: Nirvana
Song: About a Girl
Album: Bleach (1991)
Watch The Video
I only know two Nirvana songs well enough, but I wish I knew more. I always say to myself when "About a Girl" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (not ranked) comes on my iPod that I need to go to the library and see if they have their albums, because something tells me I would like them. Something about Kurt Cobain really gets through, I'm not sure what, but it does. If I was old enough to appreciate them when they were around, I'm sure I would've been one of the millions who was devestated when Cobain killed himself. That this particular song is brilliant goes without saying really. Lastly though, what rock group would be so out-of-the-box as to cover their MTV stage in lilies and other assorted flowers? Strange, but wonderful.

99.
Artist: Loleatta Holloway
Song: Love Sensation
Album: Love Sensation (1980)
Watch The Video*
One of the loudest voices on this countdown is indeed Loleatta Holloway. If you don't think you've heard this song before, best bet is you actually have. If not through the 2006 dance version, then through it's sampling. It's most famous sampling is probably in Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (yes, Mark Wahlberg folks!) and his "Good Vibrations", however my favourite use of the song would be Black Box's "Ride on Time". But, the song stands on it's own more than anything. A post-disco belter.

*Please note the video is for the recent "Love Sensation 2006", which is a dance version of the song. There was no video for the original 1980 version, unfortunately.

98.
Artist: Yoko Ono
Song: Walking on Thin Ice
Album: Season of Glass (1981)
Watch The Video*
Nevermind the fact that, let's be honest, Yoko Ono can't sing. Also forget the fact that she makes purging sounds throughout, and there's that bizarre screeching thing that goes on for a minute or so... this track is unreal. I LIKE the screeching, and the purging and the fact she it sounds like she has no fuckin' idea what she's doing behind that microphone. It's just infectious. That horn section is just great, non? There's many moments in this song where I go "Wow, I bet Bjork is a big fan of her's!"

*Please note, the video isn't of Yoko's song, in fact the clip I've linked is actually a "Whose Line Is It Anyway" sketch that has Wayne Brady doing a hilarious Yoko impersonation. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the actual clip, which has Ono walking around New York City for no apparently reason. It's sort've great.

97.
Artist: Sophie B Hawkins
Song: Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover
Album: Tongues & Tails (1992)
Watch The Video
I'm not sure what to make of Sophie B Hawkins. I like her, I really do - she was Sheryl Crow before there even was Sheryl Crow. She occasionally pops up with a really great song, but then she a whole lot of mediocre stuff, she never did capitalise on her strong vocal talent. "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" is my favourite (isn't it everyone's?) from her best album, Tongues & Tails. Even if Hawkins' wasn't blessed with a stunning voice (big but not overbearing like Mariah Carey), the music itself would make this song a stunner to me. I love that sort of synthy vibe that the song has. It's calming, but atmospheric. I can't really describe it any better, but it washes over me and I love every second of it. The video is also in that early-'90s tradition of having a female singer writhe around while silky sheets float about, and as male dancers do interpretive dance numbers around her. It's also funny cause it looks like she's wearing a diaper, but I think it's meant to be tulle.

96.
Artist: Sinead O'Connor
Song: No Man's Woman
Album: Faith & Courage (2000)
Watch The Video
While most will say "Nothing Compares 2 U" is their favourite Sinead song (it was ranked #103, so just missed the list) I say this rock song is my favourite. Listen to her vocals! Where 1990's "Nothing Compares 2 U" was all longing sadness, this one has it too, but this time it's mixed with rocking guitar diva. And then listen to the lyrics. This song too has lyrics of immense pain. But, thankfully she turned into this powerful rock track that I love to bits. If the only O'Connor video you've seen was the "Nothing Compares 2 U" video, watch the video to see Sinead with long hair. She's really pretty, but of course that's all part of the act as you see later in the clip.

95.
Artist: George Michael
Song: Father Figure
Album: Faith (1987)
Watch The Video
It may be weird to remember George Michael a brilliant music maker after what has happened to him in the last 6 years or so, but listen to "Father Figure", and then watch the video clip and it's hard to deny what he once was: A genius. This pulsating ballad is just masterful. That music, that smokey back-alley club vibe is just magic, and Michael's singing is powerful and strong. And what of the video clip? Seriously? One of the best ever. Yes, it's painfully '80s at times, but it's all just oozing sex appeal. The cinematography is just brilliant.

94.
Artist: Peter Gabriel
Song: Solsbury Hill
Album: Peter Gabriel I (1977)
Watch The Video
I'm not gonna say much on this song, other than it is impeccibly fun and that it's Gabriel's best song (although his best album is clearly 1986's So). Listen to it slowly built up and up. This track is so good. Bizarre film clip though.

93.
Artist: Wendy Matthews
Song: The Day You Went Away
Album: Lily (1992)
Wendy Matthews was one of Australia's most successful singers until about the mid-'90s. This song, her most successful, is only my second favourite (obviously the other one is up later). She has such a knack of these deeply sad ballads about people either gone or going and this song is no different. It all feels so epically tragic, and Wendy's voice soars. There's no surprise that this is one of the highest selling Australian singles of all time. Unfortunately, the video isn't available on YouTube. I remember it vaguely though.

92.
Artist: Prince
Song: Let's Go Crazy
Album: Purple Rain
Watch The Video*
The very first thing you hear on both the album and in the film - both called Purple Rain obviously - is Prince speaking over a single strained synth cord. "Dear beloved. We are gathered here today to get through this thing call life." From there onwards the song turns into an electric odyssey of funk, rock and pop. This song is the most joyous on the album, although "Baby, I'm A Star" gives it a run for it's money. Are you gonna let the elevator bring you down? I hope not.

Please note, the video is actually of Prince performing the song at the 2006 Brit awards. Damn, does he give good liveness. There is no video available, unfortunately. Although, if you watch the movie Purple Rain the song's performance can act as a video clip of it's own. I love that movie.

91.
Artist: Whitney Houston
Song: I Will Always Love You
Album: OST The Bodyguard (1992)
Watch The Video
Oh, hush you! I know you loved this song too back in 1992. The song that basically wrote a whole bunch of chart records (wasn't it at #1 for, like, half a year) still packs a punch today. The film itself is a perfect example of what movie studios seem incapable of doing these days. Capitalising upon a soundtrack. Yes, movie soundtracks occasionally break out and become big hits, but how many movies recently can claim to have been a success because of the soundtrack. If Whitney hadn't song her half a dozen or so songs on the soundtrack, the movie wouldn't have made half as much. The centrepiece of the soundtrack is, of course, this song. How could it not be? Houston covering Dolly Parton's classic (which she actually sang in 1982's The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas). Everybody loves that moment 3 minutes into the song when it goes silent and then Houston brings out the big guns. It's a shame that after her excellent (read: career best) album My Love Is Your Love in 1999 she went completely down the drug-filled toilet seemingly never to return. And the video? I remember the video so vividly that when I actually sat down to watch The Bodyguard for the first time last year I kept thinking "oh when is the scene where Kevin jumps into the lake gonna show up". I mean, I watched the video enough times in 1992 to basically remember every frame.

That's it for today, I'll do more whenever I feel like it. Coming up there is all sorts of eclectic pics from Hole to Gary Numan to Basement Jaxx.

No comments: