July 29, 2006

The Departed Trailer Blahness

The trailer for Martin Scorsese's The Departed is up and... yeah, okay, what? This is meant to get Scorsese an Oscar? People need to think clearly. They seem to forget that Scorsese doesn't get nominated for every single movie he makes, and considering some of the competition this year, I can't picture Scorses even getting close to a Best Director nomination, let alone Best Picture. Having said that, if this weren't a Scorsese movie I doubt it would be as anticipated as it currently is. And if I hadn't seen the original Hong Kong version, the swell Infernal Affairs, I'd have no idea what was even happening in this trailer.

Jack Nicholson doesn't seem to be working in this role, and it's funny to see DiCaprio finally shed his boyishness and finally beef up, but... he looks fucking weird! There was, like, 2 weeks in the 2004 Oscar race that I found Leonardo really good looking after thinking he was grotesque for a long time. And well done! He's back to grotesque.

Anyway, overall I just got a sense of "blah" from this trailer. It doesn't look particularly exciting visually (THAT is where Infernal Affairs was trumps. That movie was GORGEOUS!) and the actors seem to bug me in some way. I'll still see it because it's Scorsese and it WILL play at least some small part in the awards season. But, really... I can think of about 60 titles I am more excited about.

Lastly though, I can immediately tell something is fishy when they aren't making a big thing about the rooftop sequence. That moment in the original is brilliant, yet we only get brief flashes. They don't seem to be playing up the whole DiCaprio V Damon thing at all. Instead it seems to be the Jack Nicholson Show. *groan*

2 comments:

Jason Adams said...

I caught it during the end credits of like Entertainment Tonight the pther night, which granted isn't really the best way to viewa trailer with their credits rolling alongside it and their annoying graphics and what nots, but yeah, it barely held my interest. I have yet to see Infernal Affairs, been sitting in the Netflix queue for ages now, but I'm far more excited t
o watch the original than this remake got me with its trailer.

RC said...

i feel like there's a lot of bleh thoughts in regard to this movie at this point....

do you remember his film with Nicholas Cage "Bring out the dead" or something like that...

I never even saw it b/c it just didn't really seem like anyone cared at all.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com