May 1, 2006

WOW!


I just watched this episode of Six Feet Under (it deserves italics!) titled "The Rainbow of her Reasons" and... wow. I was loving it from the opening credits because it said it guest starred Patricia Clarkson and Kathy Bates (both of whom I love in general, but they're ace on SFU) but it was also directed by none other than Mary Harron - she of American Psycho, I Shot Andy Warhol and The Notorious Bettie Page fame.

I've watched this show from the very first episode and it may just be the inital reaction but I think out of the four and a half seasons that have been aired (we're six episodes from the very end) that tonight's was my favourite. It was perfect. Everything about it was astoundingly good. There was a moment where the women are down in the basement and sing "Calling All Angels" and I had to hold back tears, it was beautiful. And that ending! Just everything about it. Lauren Ambrose getting a temp job and then singing "You Ride Up My Thighs" (i love SFU's musical bits, they're choice). Just... it was all so perfect. Everybody was at the very top of their games, especially Ambrose and Conroy. if Ambrose didn't submit this episode to the Emmy commitee then she's stupid. Wonderful. A+

5 comments:

Ramification said...

I don't want to overhype it for you, but the series finale is stunning and very fitting for the show!

Yaseen Ali said...

Totally with you, Glenn. Six Feet Under may just be my favorite television show, up there with The Simpsons (Seasons One through Nine only).

This episode was terrific, I agree (and ramification is correct - they just keep getting better later this season). I loved Lauren's musical performance, and "Calling All Angels" had me in tears. Why has Frances Conroy NOT won an Emmy yet? (insert beserk rant here).

I wrote about the show and its lack of Emmys a couple of months ago:

http://cuttingroomreviews.blogspot.com/2006/02/emmy-voters-for-your-consideration-or.html

Yaseen Ali said...

Ah! Actually DO NOT READ THAT POST. It has spoilers. Sorry, I forgot that you have not seen Season Five in its entirety yet.

Repeat: AVOID aforementioned post!

Glenn Dunks said...

lol, I will avoid it thnx Ali! I have heard the series finale is an absolute stunner and I just can't wait. I've had Sia's "Breathe Me" playing for a year now and all I know is that it figured somehow into the finale. It is SUCH a SFU Montage song.

SFU is definitely one of my all-time favourite shows. It's brilliant. Has there ever been a television series with more character arcs?

Glenn Dunks said...

oh, btw, if Francis Conroy played her cards right she could win the Emmy this year. She has had some fantastic episodes.