April 1, 2006

Top 25 Musical Sequences, Part III

14. From The Lion King, "I Just Can't Wait to be King" - Voiced by the Cast of The Lion King


Not my favourite song from The Lion King (that would be "Circle of Life" duh) but this scene is definitely my favourite in the movie. It's just so happy. The animation is great, the song fits perfectly into the movie and there's nothing more you can ask it, really.

13. From All That Jazz, "Take Off With Us/Airotica" - Performed by the Chorus of All That Jazz

(there's no actual images of this scene, so this is sort of closish)

The first half is one of the most delightfully poppy songs ever with kick-ass choreography (duh, it's Fosse) and fun lyrics and wonderful execution. Cue the smoke machines, minus the clothes and the scene turns into an erotic naked dance of sexual flight attendants. Might not sound fun if you haven't seen it, but it is. The only way you'll know? See this movie.

12. From Moulin Rouge!, "Elephant Love Medley" - Performed by Ewan McGregor & Nicole Kidman


aah, thinking about this movie brings back so many memories. Seeing this movie in the cinema 6 times, listening to the soundtrack for weeks on end, having Moulin Rouge sing-alongs! Man, it helps that the song selections for this movie were ace, but how about this song. A pop pastiche of tonnes of romantic songs from the decades. Watching this for the first time in the cinema was like watching some devine miracle happening before my eyes - that is still elicits this response from me is something to cherish. God, this is beautiful.

11. From The Little Shop of Horrors, "Suddenly Seymour" - Performed by Rick Moranis & Ellen Greene


More for the song than anything else. I just absolutely die-hard-love this song. It is so great. The scene itself is also my favourite from the film (the opener "Skid Row" just missed out on the list). While I was a bit iffy on the film itself, the musical sequences were spot-on fabo. Delightfully wacky and camp too, which is fun.


Top 10 will come later today/tomorrow.

6 comments:

adam k. said...

Ooh, this is fun. I am excited to see what makes the top ten.

I am expecting to maybe see Come What May or Roxanne or something else from Moulin Rouge (although Elephant Love Medley is kind of IT!), hopefully Tonight or something else from West Side Story (tough to choose... the dance at the gym is phemomenal but there's no singing... somewhere is the best song, but it's tiny... Maria is classic, but it's just Tony... America is great but not really iconic... I think tonight emerges as the MVP as sequences go). And I know "I've Seen it All" will be hitting big.

Oh, and I'm thinking "Wig in a Box" has to be there.

And maybe "The Sound of Music"'s title number?

"Maybe this time" from Cabaret also is a winner.

OK, now I'm not so much predicting as much as giving you ideas... fun fun project.

adam k. said...

Oh my, I just realized if you count "Over The Rainbow" as a full out musical sequence (and no reason not to, since you counted "If You're Good to Mama"), then it makes a major case for #1. I'm just sayin'.

Glenn Dunks said...

Some of those you mentioned made the top 10. Some didn't. One of the MOVIES you mentioned has the #1 song, but the one you think it is is not correct.

Oh, and while there are 2 songs from Cabaret to come, "Maybe This Time" is not one of them. Unfortunately, no Hedwig made it on the list. And I haven't seen Sound of Music, so...

Glenn Dunks said...

oh, i misread, but by the time you read this I should have it posted. the #1 is indeed one you mentioned as a possibility.

adam k. said...

If you haven't seen The Sound of Music, you have no business making this list! Kidding. Mostly. Actually none of the sequences in it are all that spectacular visually... although the title song reprise when the kids sing and the father joins in packs quite the emotional wallup and probably would've made your list. It is a keeper.

But as for the #1... well, it's clearly either Come What May or Roxanne... not sure which one you didn't see me type.

I personally would go with Come What May. I just find it more emotionally cathartic is all, considering that song is the heart of the film. But I know that Roxanne sequence has a lot of fans... the cutting, the dancing, Ewan singing despairingly... it is quite a "wow". I'm surprised whichever you did leave off was left off the list entirely. Hm.

adam k. said...

And I'd think both of those sequences were quite expensive to film... so that doesn't really help me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.