April 27, 2006

Cultural Insensitivity Returns...

Okay, so it's not Memoirs of a Geisha but this is REALLY bugging me. this article is discussing the new Michael Hutchence biopic that is being made (with the assistance of Michael's family). All the way back in January I made that post about the fact that there should be a Michael Hutchence biopic made, and so it appears they are doing one but apparently they want, get this, JOHNNY DEPP to play Michael! Now, this wouldn't be so bad but again it's just annoying because, simply put, there are Australian who could play this role. Apparently they want a highly Australian/British cast (he married the British Paula Yates, remember) yet they're gonna stuff Johnny fuckin' Depp in there?


In the post I linked to up there I said Noah Taylor should play him and I still think that. It's not like Noah Taylor is a bad actor. And they look sort of similar. Michael wasn't movie star pretty and while I know Depp can uglify himself I just can't see him as Michael. I wouldn't even care if someone like Daniel Day-Lewis were to play him, but Johnny Depp just reeks of "BIG NAME!!!" Ugh. Unless he does a Renee Zellweger/Bridget Jones thing (and that's less annoying because it's fictional for some reason), then...

Oh well, it can't be as bad as Memoirs of a Geisha, right?

3 comments:

Ramification said...

I really disagree with you on this Glenn, I think if Depp is right for the role then he should play him , regardless of where he is from. I can actually totally see him in the role to be honest.

Calum Reed said...

Depp is a genius. He can easily take on the role.

O/T: In a kind of freaky ocurrence, I also watched Psycho last night, and also gave it A+ . Loved it so much.

Glenn Dunks said...

Rami, if Depp is actually good in the role then so be it, but it seems annoying that they're giving the role of one of Australia's most famous and well-loved artists to an American.

Of course, that's if Depp even takes the role.

Hah, Georgie, you SHOULD see it.

Cal, Psycho deserves ever A and + in the known universe.