April 26, 2006

Cabaret Revisited

Cabaret (1972, dir. Fosse)


I originally saw Cabaret a couple of years back and didn't like it THAT much. I liked it, but just not as much as I had hoped. I was at the videostore today and I had a coupon for 7 weekly DVDs for $6.95, which is deliriously cheap! And I needed one more and was in the classic section (look to the sidebar to see what others I got, it's gonna be GREAT!) and saw it and decided I'd give it another go because I hate the fact that I've been going through life not liking it as much as I feel I should.

So I watched it tonight and... WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?!?! I must have been really tired last time I watched or something because, really... this is brilliant. Maybe because I was watching a VHS copy I just couldn't see it? I have no idea, but this movie is excellent. I fell in love with Liza Minelli's performance, and Joel Grey's was still great. Michael York continues to horrify me with his blandness but even he didn't piss me of as much as last time.

And I really noticed the stunning cinematography this time. I love Bob Fosse directed musical numbers. How he pushes stuff to the background (people walking infront of the camera and so forth) it just adds so much to it. The musical numbers were all outstanding this time instead of only a few. "Mein Herr" and "Money Money" were still my favourites though as they were before.


Man, i loved it. Live is a cabaret alright! A

11 comments:

Calum Reed said...

I can't wait to see all of this. I've only seen bits and pieces of it in the past but it's quite high up on my rental list now :)

par3182 said...

best. film. ever.

Glenn Dunks said...

Ooh, I wouldn't go that far. I still liked The Godfather from 1972 more.

Javier Aldabalde said...

1972 also had masterworks from Bergman and Buñuel, so um... it was a really busy year.

Glenn Dunks said...

I unfortunately have never been exposed to Bunuel. None of this films are on DVD here! I don't know what Bergman title you speak of but I haven't seen it. Other 1972 titles I've seen are Fellini's Roma, Wes Craven's The Last House on the Left and Woody Allen's Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex*. Interesting year.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Bergman had a Best Picture nominee that year, "Cries and Whispers", that got nominated the year after that (73) due to a delayed LA run I think. Buñuel is just a joy to watch. His surrealist "Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" took home the Foreign Oscar that year.

Glenn Dunks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Glenn Dunks said...

Ooh okay.

I really want to see some Bunuel but it's a bit impossible. I think "The Grant Illusion" is available actually... but that's probably wrong.

Let's also remember that 1972 introduced us to the wacky world of John Waters with Pink Flamingos! Of which I have NOT seen.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Yes, indeed! I saw bits of that the other day, and it was *very* hilarious.

Glenn Dunks said...

really? :\

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. how to clean your computer monitor http://www.prescription-drugs-9.info/girls-fragrance.html coldwell banker larson realty cheap guys computers fl computers gosford central coast Ballroom dancing class delaware Centurion soccer socks us consumer debt computer commercials