January 15, 2006

Golden Globe Predix

Bold = My Predicted Winnter
Italics = Possible spoiler
Due to the fact that I've seen barely any of these movies (THANK YOU, ONCE AGAIN, AUSTRALIAN DISTRIBUTERS!!!!!) I can't give my own preferance, but I'm going for Brokeback and Pride & Prejudice, even though of the two I've only seen the latter. I loved P&P ever so...

Best Picture - Drama
Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Good Night & Good Luck
A History of Violence
Match Point

Ya, This is Brokeback's to lose, and I don't think it will. THe Globe voting period was the exact same period where it was the hottest thing in town (er, still is), so... but, yeah, GN&GL could theoretically spoil the show, but that's extremely unlikely.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy
Mrs Henderson Presents
Pride & Prejudice
The Producers
The Squid and the Whale
Walk the Line

This oft-bastardised category is a two-horse race I think. And while they'll love the performances for Walk the Line I think they'll ultimately give this prize to Pride & Prejudice. But, neither would surprise me.

Best Director
Woody Allen, Match Point
George Clooney, Good Night & Good Luck
Peter Jackson, King Kong
Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Fernando Meirelles, The Constant Gardener
Steven Spielberg, Munich

Lee seems like a safe bet, but this category is much harder than Picture to predict. It could easily go to Clooney who's big Hollywood or in a bizarre twist... Fernando Meirelles who is the true darkhorse.

Best Actor - Drama
Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Terrance Howard, Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
David Strathairn, Good Night & Good Luck

Definitely between Hoffman and Ledger and I think they won't be able to resist giving it to the young man many had written off. A great come-back story that they'll love to claim they helped result in an Oscar, no?

Best Actor - Musical/Comedy
Pierce Brosnan, The Matador
Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Nathan Lane, The Producers
Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line

I don't really think there is an alternate to this category, but I chose Lane for some reason. This is Phoenix's though and I find it hard to fathom anyone else winning.

Best Actress - Drama
Maria Bello, A History of Violence
Felicity Huffman, TransAmerica
Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
Charlize Theron, North Country
Zhang Ziyi, Memoirs of a Geisha

Another two-horse race methinks, but between two unlikely possibilities. The other day I said I thought Huffman would win her TV category and they would reward Bello thus resulting in her being snubbed by the Oscar. While I'm sure Huffman will eventually win this I really wanna keep this prediction incase it does indeed occur so I can brag about it or something. lol, whatever. If it's Huffman though I will not die of shock.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy
Judi Dench, Mrs Henderson Presents
Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

If Reese loses this I will indeed die of shock. Actually, no. If she loses to anyone but Keira, I will. But, really... who are we kidding. This is Reese's in the bag. Easiest call of the night.

Best Supporting Actor
George Clooney, Syriana
Matt Dillon, Crash
Will Ferrell, The Producers
Paul Giamatti, Cinerella Man
Bob Hoskins, Mrs Henderson Presents

Clooney's prize is coming up and the globes aren't as "SORRY!" towards Paul Giamatti as AMPAS so I'm predicting Matt Dillon takes the prize, gives an extremely wonderful, gracious and humble speech and takes the lead for Oscar. Doesn't Crash seem like a Screenplay/Supporting Actor Oscar winner?

Best Supporting Actress
Scarlett Johansson, Match Point
Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes
Frances McDormand, North Country
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

Unlike Nat I think this category is quite up in the air. Apart from McDormand I can see this going to any of these ladies. Ultimately I do think they'll go with the BP winner and girlfriend of the leading man Williams, however this could be their op to reward Gardener. THey do love MacLaine and Johansson also so I couldn't discount them. But, yes, I am predicting Williams who can get up give an extremely wopnderful, gracious and humble speech and takes the lead for Oscar (moreso than she already is)

Best Screenplay
Brokeback Mountain
Crash
Good Night & Good Luck
Match Point
Munich

Unless Clooney wins somewhere else, I think he's winning here. However if they really do go head over heels for BBM then it could sweep through here as well.

Best Foreign Film
Joyeux Noel
Kung Fu Hustle
Paradise Now
The Promise
Tsotsi

I have no fuckin idea. really.

Best Original Song
Brokeback Mountain - "A Love That Will Never Grow Old"
Christmas In Love - "Christmas In Love"
The Chronicles of Narnia - "Wunderkind"
The Producers - "There's Nothing Like A Show On Broadway"
TransAmerica - "Travelin' Thru"

I love Dolly, she's bonza entertainment and I think she'll win here although if Huffman wins, it'll be weird saying TransAmerica won every award it was up for (lol, all 2 I know). If not they could go for BBMs beautiful ballad or Alanis' Narnia song, but I predict if not Dolly then it'll go to Mel Brooks' Producers song. I still have no idea how Christmas in Love got in there.

Best Original Score
Brokeback Mountain
The Chronicles of Narnia
King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
Syriana

I'd love to see Alexandre Desplat win by pure virtue that he is ALEXANDE DESPLAT(!!!) but I actually predict BBM will win this. If not? Narnia which seemed so wholey generic "epic" sounding that they might just fall for it.

The End.

No comments: