December 1, 2005

NBR and everything it stands for

Nat inspired me to do some predictions!

I think the NBR Top 10 will look like this (this is alpha order, i couldn't dream of putting it in any other). For all the categories I'm working around the fact that they like to reward every studio possible.

Batman Begins
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night & Good Luck
A History of Violence
Memoirs of a Geisha
Pride & Prejudice
The Producers
The Squid & The Whale

Am I odd for guessing Batman Begins? I dunno why.

And their #1 i also think will be Memoirs of a Geisha. Or... Pride & Prejudice Just a weird feeling. I would have put Munich and Walk The Line instead of, probably, The Producers and Batman Begins but I figure, when did the NBR's top 10 have each of the Academy's Top 5? And, if I included those two, then my current prediction of the top 5 would be in there.

Wait, how often DOES the NBR include all of the Oscar's Top 5?

I generally like the NBR though! They gave Moulin Rouge! a headstart, how could I not?

Other categories
Best Director: James Mangold, Walk The Line
Best Actress: Joan Allen, Upside of Anger, Yes & Off The Map
Best Actor: Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain and Casanova - i doubt they'll recognise Brothers Grimm, right?
Best Supporting Actress: Maria Bello, A History of Violence (or Zhang Ziyi, 2046 <-strange, i know)
Best Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon, Crash (or, Gary Beach, The Producers)

Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, Match Point and Melinda & Melinda (do they do that for writers?)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Dan Futterman, Capote

(if they merge these two like they occasionally do, I'd put my money on Woody Allen)

Breakthrough Female: Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice (& Domino?)
Breakthrough Male: Eric Bana, Munich
Best Directorial Debut: Miranda July, Me & You & Everyone We Know
Best Acting By An Ensemble: Crash

Best Production Design: Memoirs of a Geisha (why do they award this and no other techs?)

Best Foreign Film: 2046
Best Animated Film: Wallace & Gromit
Best Documentary: March of the Penguins

Special Achievement Award: (I was going to go along with the George Clooney theory, but they gave him this award for his Confessions of a Dangerous Mind So I'm now gonna go with Tim Burton for no real reason other than to spread their wealth more.

Lifetime Achievement:
-Shirley MacLaine, For her achievement in film or whatever
-Thomas Newman, For his achievement in film composing

Categories they sometimes have:
Best Youth Performance: Q'oiranka Kilcher, The New World
Best Musical Performance: Uma Thurman, The Producers

I think I covered most of it! I'm not doing that weird category that has 20 million nominees and no winner.

Studios that have received a nominations in some form

Dreamworks
Focus
Fox
IFC
Lions Gate
New Line
Sony
Universal
Warner Bros

I don't know where to put the Weinstein's though! And Miramax! I thought about placing TransAmerica as Debut Feature, but... really?

4 comments:

Yaseen Ali said...

I'm also thinking Joan Allen for Actress (something just seems so right about her winning, doesn't it?). I'm just concerned about her Oscar campaign (or lack thereof). So far, I think I've seen one poster on her behalf; the rest of New Line's efforts are directed towards "A History of Violence" and "The New World" (see their awards website). I guess they're putting all their muscle behind Q'Orianka Kilcher, which is a shame, because Miramax certainly proved they could get three (!) of their actresses into the final roster in 2001 (Zellwegger, Spacker, Dench).

Glenn Dunks said...

I spose they figure that those movies can still make money. Upside has done it's dash.

But, with three Oscar nods already you'd think Allen would be a popular choice for them and that they might actually have a shot at WINNING if they really tried. I know Kate Winslet lost from her fourth nod, but she was up against Hilary, Imelda and Annette. She was never gonna win (however unfortunate)

heheh. You said "Spacker" instead of Spacek.

Yaseen Ali said...

Oh god. I blame my typos on this time of year (essay season). I haven't slept in two days. Poor Sissy Spacek; her last name must always get mangled.

I know exactly what you mean. Allen could have a shot at winning this category (especially in a weak year like this) if she had more support from her studio. She's loooong over-due, she's terrific in the film, and she gets to balance comedy and drama too. What more could you want?

I think I should send a letter to New Line.

Glenn Dunks said...

lol. We should do Joan's campaigning for her! It'd amount to more than New Line's efforts.

I know what you mean about typos though. I have them all around my entries. I type too fast and don't proof read (who can be bothered?)