December 14, 2005

The full list for the HFPA

Best Pic, Drama
Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Good Night, and Good Luck
A History of Violence
Match Point

wow. I have only seen Gardner, but this list looks IMPECABLE! Truly astounded how well it appears they have chosen their nominees. ASTOUNDING!! Really, i am. No Memoirs, no Munich, no Kong, but 5 almost universally loved (critics wise) movies that aren't big giant oscar machines like Memoirs. Truly shocking at how good this list is (well, apparently). I expect to like all of these movies and now I am just... i'm dumbfounded!

Director
Woody Allen, Match Point
George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck
Peter Jackson, King Kong
Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Fernando Mereilles, The Constant Gardener
Steven Spielberg, Munich

WOW. Spielberg's there, but only by the skin of his teeth. Jackson also makes it. Out of those 2 i think Spielberg was the closest to the miss. SO HAPPY that Mierelles is there, he needed something like this. Way to go Ang! And Woody and George, too!

Actor, Drama
Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Terence Howard, Hustle and Flow
Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

Okay, I actually sorta feel relieved that Terance Howard got nominated because now it means I sorta feel validated in sticking completely with him. He's not in fifth place for me, but fourth. Anyway. Yay for Heath (although he didn't get the double nod) and David got a boost as well. Russell Crowe getting in there is kind of a surprise, but not really. They like him!

Best Pic, Musical/Comedy
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Pride Prejudice
The Producers
Squid and the Whale
Walk the Line

This is pretty good I suppose. I had W&G instead of Squid and the Whale, and others had Family Stone. So glad to see P&P though!

Actor, Musical/Comedy
Peirce Brosnan, The Matador
Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Nathan Lane, The Producers
Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line

WOW! This category is crazy. I actually had Depp as my alternate so YAY for me. Pierce Brosnan i didn't (nor did anyone) see coming. Could the Weinstein's have another ace up their sleeve?

Actress - Comedy
Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
Laura Linney, Squid and the Whale
Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

My Angelina Jolie hunch from way back in July didn't pan out, but Laura Linney is cool! They avoided a Jolie/Pitt/Aniston thing altogether. Can't really complain here though.

Actress - Drama
Maria Bello, A History of Violence
Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
Charlize Theron, North Country
Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha

WHO WAS IT THAT HARPED AT ME ABOUT BELLO BEING SUPPORTING. I believe it was someone over at Dave Poland's forum. They were all like "if you took the time to actually SEE any of the movies you're talking about, you'd know she's supporting". That pissed me off cause it's not my fault AHoV isn't out til February. Anyway. I had heard she was gonna go lead... and well, wouldn't ya know. The Globes also decided that. Anyway. Paltro, Huffman and Theron were easy. But my lady JOAN ALLEN!!! Where art thou Joan? You'll be sorely missed, as will the Oscar race as you begin your slide out of contention. It was nice knowing you. I just wish I didn't like Zhang Ziyi so much! She's impossible to hate

Supporting Actor:
George Clooney, Syriana
Matt Dillon, Crash
Wil Ferrell, The Producers
Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
Bob Hoskins, Mrs. Henderson Presents

All is well here except for Will Ferrell. WTF? I had predicted Gary Beach i believe. But they obviously went with the bigger star. Bob Hoskins is back on track as in Matt Dillon, thankfull.

Supporting Actress:
Scarlett Johannsson, Match Point
Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes
Frances McDormand, North Country
Rachel Weisz, Contant Gardener
Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

Where on earth is Diane Keaton? Is she sliding out of the race? She's been a no show everywhere so far and now at the GLOBES! eep. Well done Adam on MacLaine. Should've been an easy guess, really. Rachel Weisz gets another leg up into the race, excellent. No Amy Adams OR Catherine Keener. The first precurser to not include either I think. McDormand though... she could still cling on. And, Scarlett was obvious from the get-go. Go Michelle

(plus the others in the previous entry)

VEERY interesting, non? This is craaazy. So many odd names thrown in, so many odd names left out. Did some races just get big shuffles?

Can I just say, it put a big smile on my face to see Alexandre Desplat nominated again (for Syriana). And, wow, they showed big judgement on Memoirs. Memoirs was still the hot ticket when they would've nominated - they were ahead of us for sure. And Munich missing out on BP Drama is HUGE, right?

More later.

5 comments:

adam k. said...

Was the video of nominations available to watch live online? Man, I should've stayed up, if so.

Thank you thank you, about MacLaine. I saw that one a mile away. But I also direct you to my oscar predictions earlier on my blog, where I wrote:

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1) Scarlett Johannson
2) Diane Keaton
3) Michelle Williams
4) Uma Thurman
5) Maria Bello

I don't see how Johannson can miss here... they owe her and it's a huge spotlight role... and Woody's actresses otfen win awards. Keaton is looking strong, although I think the fact that she's part of an equally weighted ensemble in a non-oscary film makes her vulnerable. She could miss. Williams looks like a good bet, but she of course could miss, too. I think Thurman and Bello might benefit from their recent snubs... but maybe not. We'll see.

Well, Thurman for some reason didn't register with the globes despite their Producers love (very bizarre), but I was right about Diane Keaton being vulnerable when no one else was seeing that. Granted, I never expected her to totally miss BFCA and GG nods altogether, but I was thinking that it was possible.

Anyway, yes I gloat. I will stop now.

adam k. said...

Was the video of nominations available to watch live online? Man, I should've stayed up, if so.

Thank you thank you, about MacLaine. I saw that one a mile away. But I also direct you to my oscar predictions earlier on my blog, where I wrote:

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1) Scarlett Johannson
2) Diane Keaton
3) Michelle Williams
4) Uma Thurman
5) Maria Bello

I don't see how Johannson can miss here... they owe her and it's a huge spotlight role... and Woody's actresses otfen win awards. Keaton is looking strong, although I think the fact that she's part of an equally weighted ensemble in a non-oscary film makes her vulnerable. She could miss. Williams looks like a good bet, but she of course could miss, too. I think Thurman and Bello might benefit from their recent snubs... but maybe not. We'll see.


Well, Thurman for some reason didn't register with the globes despite their Producers love (very bizarre), but I was right about Diane Keaton being vulnerable when no one else was seeing that. Granted, I never expected her to totally miss BFCA and GG nods altogether, but I was thinking that it was possible.

Anyway, yes I gloat. I will stop now.

adam k. said...

Sorry I posted that twice... wanted to clarify what was old with parentheses.

But yeah, crazy globe nods all around, pretty sweet.

Best actor's first four slots seem to be firming up (Hoffman, Ledger, Phoenix, Straithairn) with the 5th one very much up for grabs... Howard, Crowe, Feinnes, or Bana could all still take it (though Feinnes is not looking good anymore, even with CG reaping all these noms... SO frustrating).

Scarlett should take her globe easily given their crazy love for her, though Williams could surprise.

Screenplay looks tough to predict also, as does BP comedy (though my money's on Walk The Line for all three of its categories).

But thankfully one category is looking very clear:

Best Picture - Drama will go to: Brokeback Mountain

adam k. said...

p.s. check my blog, I have a globe run-down now.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
http://www.512mb-pc2100-cl2-5-ddr-sdram-sodimm.info Ceiling fans umax ppc france car rental How to remove tail light 2002 chevrolet suburban medical malpractice attorny