April 26, 2007

UMA 2006: A Montage

I made this montage of movie images from my favourite films of 2006 (and Suburban Mayhem). I was only making a smallish one with my top 5 films, and then it expanded to my top 10 and then I just started throwing in any film that I really quite liked from last year (and Suburban Mayhem). All ten films from my Top 10 are in there. Can you guess what one's they are? You already know a small handful are in there for certain (Jindabyne, United 93, Children of Men), but what of the rest?

Consider:


  • Did I really go completely bonkers and put The Black Dahlia, Macbeth and/or Snakes on a Plane on there?


  • Have I made a peace offering to the Weinstein Brothers and thrown their shamefully dumped Breaking & Entering on on it?


  • How many Australian films will be on there? Jindabyne, Ten Canoes, Kenny (and Suburban Mayhem) are represented.


  • Did I embrace the popcorn and coke and throw The Devil Wears Prada, Borat, Inside Man, Cars and/or Happy Feet in there?


  • How foreign can I go? Volver, Pan's Labyrinth and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are there but will any make the Top 10?


  • What of the two documentaries I've noted? Block Party and Shut Up & Sing?


  • Will the incredibly decisive auteur pics by Sofia Coppola, Darren Aronofsky and Brian DePalma stake a claim?


  • Have I had a last-minute change of heart about Little Miss Sunshine and it has actually made it in?


  • How about 12 and Holding, The Descent and Shortbus?


  • And how many times can I get away with using the same picture of Hugh Jackman shirtless to represent The Prestige?

...oh so many questions...



(it grows slightly if you click)


Most of the categories are pretty solid at the moment. There are still a few films I want to catch up with on DVD and will be doing that over the next few days, but I doubt those films will really alter much. I do still need to see Curse of the Golden Flower (it came out here yesterday, yay!), which could really throw a wrench into a few categories. Nevertheless, The UMAs are sort of almost all ready to go though.

BTW, I threw Suburban Mayhem on there because I covet the poster design and wanted to use it. Plus, it's a strong candidate in at least two categories. I did give it a B- after all.

6 comments:

Marius said...

For some reason, I thought you didn't like Pan's Labyrinth.

J.D. said...

Hm... something tells me you liked The Black Dahlia, since you mentioned it twice on that list. You could be the only one though. And how many Hugh Jackman films will be on there though? There's The Fountain, The Prestige, and Happy Feet, and while I absolutely didn't like the latter, I know you did. Hm, this is tough. Why must you tempt us like this?!?

Glenn Dunks said...

NEVER ENOUGH HUGH!!!!

adam k. said...

"it grows slightly if you click"

Am I the only one who read really dirty things into this?

Glenn Dunks said...

You're only just noticing that? I write that for a lot of those sort of pictures. Specifically ones of people like Chris Evans and Hugh Jackman. I always just figured everyone was in on the nudgewink.

J.D. said...

Sick perverted weirdo lol.