December 2, 2006

Premier's 20 Most Overrated

I was reading 20 Most Overrated list, and it's sort of confusing. A lot of these titles are perfect candidates (I agree and disagree with some) but there are some on there that... well, if anything, since their release it seems as if nobody likes them anymore. You know how it is, movie is praised upon release, then it beats other movies to Oscar and people immediately hate it and act as if they did all along.

1. American Beauty
Well, I still whole heartily love this movie.

2. Chicago
Now, this is what I'm talking about. A discussion about this decade's Oscar winners for Best Picture rarely goes by these days without people saying that Chicago is shithouse. So I don't really know how it qualifies as "overrated" when people such as myself actually have to furiously defend the movie from the masses.

3. Clerks
And here is where I chime in and say "Hell yes!" I just don't get this movie (I know there's nothing to get, but still). It's a bunch of idiot losers standing around being idiots and losers. It's like how Napoleon Dynamite was apparently hilarious because that loser stands around doing loserish things that you would laugh at somebody for doing in real life. But because he's got stupid hair and says GOSH! a lot it's apparently hysterical! Oh, yeah, Clerks. Well... I'd rather watch Napoleon Dynamite

4. Fantasia
Oh boy. This was a struggle to sit through with my eyes wide open. Like... what the hell was that?

5. Field of Dreams
And now I disagree again. I've never watched an entire game of baseball in my life, but I always thought that if I lived in America it would be the sport I'd follow (basically cause whatever it is that you call football is probably the stupidest sport I've ever seen. It's like rugby... but worse! And I've seen curling, and that's pretty darn stupid!) Anyway, this movie warms the cockles of my heart. It's all dreamy and it makes me smile just thinking about it.

6. Chariots of Fire
I've never seen this one, but again, this seems like a movie that today isn't seen in the greatest light so I doubt it's overrated.

7. Good Will Hunting
See, my understanding of this list is that the movies listed should be ones that are routinely mentioned today. Ones that started trends. One's that are thought of today as "classics". Good Will Hunting isn't really any of those.

8. Forrest Gump
I haven't watched this in a few years, but for whatever reason, I liked it much more when I was younger. I kinda can't stand Tom Hanks in this movie. Nor Robin Wright Penn. Nor Sally Field. JFK gives good cameo though!

9. Jules & Jim
Oh holy jesus YES! How this melodramatic, yet completely plain, movie is considered a classic is sorta beyond me. Oh, wait. It's because it's Truffaut and it's gotta be good if it's by him. *groan* I hate it when people give directors free passes.

10. A Beautiful Mind
Again, moreso than any of the others, this movie was roundly hated at the time, let alone now.

11. Monster's Ball
I don't remember that many loving the movie so much as Halle Berry's performance (now that is overrated!) What a silly movie this was. Just ridiculous and silly

12. Moonstruck
The guy at least redeems himself slightly by saying "Cher deserved her Oscar", but I really liked this movie. Basically because of Cher and how much she just assaults you with charm and whatever Jewish word that has that sound like you're coughing up furballs.

13. Mystic River
Interesting choice. I agree with the Kevin Bacon subplot. That was extraneous. But the rest of it was really quite good (although I'm still not sure about Tim Robbins' acting!!!!!!!)

14. Nashville
I've never seen this, unfortunately (don't blame me, blame the distributors. Although maybe with Altman's recent passing they'll finally see fit to allow Australians, who weren't born before 1975, the chance to see it) but it is pretty much unanimously seen as a classic, right? Right!

15. The Wizard of Oz
This dude doesn't like it because it's too colourful. I wish more movies were this colourful. "The film's reputation as kitsch-that-transcends-kitsch precedes it; a new viewer unaware of that rep might see kitsch, plain and simple." and that would be their tough luck.

16. An American in Paris
*cries* I HATE YOU!!!!!

17. Easy Rider
And now we're talking. Maybe it's cause I watched this, ya know, not high as a kite, but boy... bo-ring. Incredibly so. It's sort of unbelievable how boring it is.

18. The Red Shoes
He takes a pot shot at Martin Scorsese AND The Red Shoes? Holy crap this guy is weird. I can never decide which scene is better: The performance of the ballet with the leading lady, or the performance without. They've equally magical.

19. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Just like Easy Rider, it's hard to watch this movie when you're not stoned (I suppose - I've never tried to thank you very much), but as a sober watcher... well... i did want to snooze. Will the future make me sleepy? But it's one of those movie that I could find myself watching repeatedly yet never actually liking it fully. It's got so many well-made pieces, but they're just sorta floating around in zero gravity with nothing connecting them.

20. Gone with the Wind
I just watched this last week (it was divine). This is a strange inclusion because the general concensus is that Gone is still a bonafide classic and the writer just comes off as a pompous wank.


Frankly my dear... that was shithouse

3 comments:

DL said...

That list is completely and utterly 100% ridiculous. I mean, I'm not about to argue the fact that Good Will Hunting, Monster's Ball, A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump, Field of Dreams, etc. are all over-rated, because they most certainly are.

But it lost all credibility when it mentioned Nashville. !?!?! That's one of the best movies of all time - a bona fide MASTERPIECE. If anything ,it's under-rated.

Glenn Dunks said...

"If anything ,it's under-rated."

I was gonna say something like that! Everyone says it's a classic yet it's never mentioned alongside the Citizen Kanes or the Casablancas.

Speaking of overrated, how about Citizen Kane? It's good and all but not the best movie ever made. Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons is better in my book.

Anonymous said...

"basically cause whatever it is that you call football is probably the stupidest sport I've ever seen. It's like rugby... but worse!"

That is because it is a sport that takes intelligence to follow so naturally only Americans can follow it. Greatest sport on earth. And the reason it is the most popular sport in the USA is because only Americans play it. There are no Hispanics like in Baseball or Pansy Europeans like in Basketball and no Communists like in Hockey. It is purely American!!