November 22, 2006

Stupid Weinsteins, Time, Prestige

Juliette Binoche is officially out of the race. A Supporting Actress nomination was possible, but BEST ACTRESS? That ain't gonna happen this year. I do sorta want this to happen. No, not Sienna Miller for Best Actress, but the Guy Pearce thing. He looks fabo. I did predict both of them though at the start of the year. Whatever. I'm feeling directionless today. Oh, and A Prairie Home Companion is getting a FYC campaign. Strangely, there's no mention of Best Original Song, which it could quite easily snag a nod in (if "Song for My Mama" is original then campaign for it!)

Moving on, I truly don't understand this thing at Time. I mean, I really just don't get it. How can you include best of albums among the greatest albums of all time? Or the many other oddities on their list (cover albums? compilations?)

I saw The Prestige last night. Really liked it. Jackman was good (and so ridiculously good looking) as was Johansson, Bale and Caine. Favourite performance was David Bowie though. Talk about a wow job. Techs were amazing all round (art direction, costumes, cinematography, etc). The only issue I had was with the very end. I think once that one character killed that other character because of the character who couldn't kill the character who was killed, the character who killed the character should've just left and not explained everything to the nth degree. It wouldn't made it a bit more enjoyably headscratching. And yes, I realise what I just said probably made no sense to even people who have seen the movie, but it's not something that you should know before you see the movie. B+

2 comments:

Yaseen Ali said...

That is an idiotic move re: Binoche. She's really good in the film, but it is definitely a supporting performance. If they're pushing her in that race, it would make just as much sense to place Wright-Penn similarly, since they have about an equal share of screentime. Whatever.

I would love to see Guy Pearce nominated. He was so good in L.A. Confidential and Memento, and I would have given him noms for both.

Sid said...

Including compilation albums in that list is just dumb.