August 24, 2006

Tit for Tat

So, I've been saying for a while now that Ray Lawrence's Jindabyne is a freakin' excellent stunning movie, yet there was no news on any international release, which I found strange because it stars Laura Linney and Gabriel Bryne (and Hugh Jackman's wife!). But I read today that Sony Classics has picked it up. It'll be released in Spring, which is... what for you guys? March? I dunno. That's a shame. The movie is so bloody good that it deserves a good release. Ugh. I hope this doesn't go down as another dismal Australia-to-US release. There's been too many of them already (how they bungled Little Fish is a mystery that nobody will ever be able to understand).


BUT, of course, I saw the movie a while back. But, alas, for every 1 good movie Australia gets early, the US gets about 20,344,303,099,284,340,001 titles before us. I hope hope hope that titles such as Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette and Pedro Almodovar's Volver get released here soon after their US release, but the title that I am most annoyed with is David Lynch's The Inland Empire. I just know this movie will be out here months after after it is in the US (much like Mulholland Drive was). After reading the description below I just... ugh! I want this movie NOW YOU MOTHERFUCKERS (on a plane?)

The Inland Empire
David Lynch, France / USA

A Polish woman looks, intently, into someone or something ... an actress (Laura Dern) is warned that her new movie is cursed ... a rabbit-headed family perform sit-com actions on a stage set as if engaged in a solemn ritual ... Such are just a few of the elements and recurrent motifs of The Inland Empire, a mesmerizing surge through countless looking glasses that lands us on the far side of the land of nightmares. Lynch’s first foray into high-definition video is just as visually stunning as his work in 35mm, but the long gestation period of his new film (he shot on and off over two years, and wrote as he went) has allowed him to give his own uniquely epic form to many of his primary concerns: the exploitation of young women, the mutability of identity, the omnivorousness of Hollywood.


Hollywood, Laura Dern, Rabbits, Mystery, Exploitation of young women, Mutability of identity? Sounds like David Lynch to me! Fuck, if I have to wait until March to see this movie I'm gonna throw something at somebody (most likely Hannah).

LOL.

That last bit there was a reference to when we were watching the 2003 Oscars and I said if Renee Zellweger won I'd throw something at Hannah. She did and I did. A pillow, but nonetheless... Hannah. You better hope this movie gets here soon! And Georgie too. I'll throw a pen at you or something.

:P

2 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

Oh, I know just what you mean. "Inland Empire" probably won't be released here until 2010 *cries*

Anonymous said...

Thanx biatch, i really appreciate pillows being thrown at me!