July 8, 2006

Don't Cha Wish Your Links Were Hot Like Me

I know you do, don't deny.

Joe R over at Low Resolution has started the second round of his Beyond Actress-dome project. Some hard decision making going on there, and I can't say I'd make the same choices as he, but I'm l-o-v-i-n-g this project. You can vote on you think should go through to the next round between Tilda Swinton (The Deep End, Chronicles of Narnia) and Catherine Keener (Being John Malkovich, 40-Year-Old Virgin) due to a tie in the judging. Hop to it.


The Movie Binge disects The Devil Wears Prada and The Great New Wonderful. That second one who may not have heard of before, but it sounds great. It's a 9/11 film - but about people and not events. It's about a collection of New York characters (yeah, another one of those) in the time after September 11, so it's actually about the event. It actually sounds quite good, and the poster was intriguing. But in a creepy weird twist, how much does Maggie Gyllenhaal look like Nicole Kidman in Birth in the picture above? Near uncanny. Gyllenhaal and Edie Falco play two cake-decorators in the film.

Nat at the Film Experience discusses the lack of Lois Lane's past in Superman Returns. I've never read the comics, nor seen the old movies and I still haven't seen the new one (I plan to) so I can't really comment. But some of y'all might.

Go Fug Yourself produced a classic today. Their hilarious skewering of The Pussycat Dolls (aka The Fuglycat Dolls) brings up new Spice Girls related issues. How come they haven't given their anonymous background noise interesting names like Alley Cat, Tom Cat etc? it's actually a fairly legitimate question, as in this age of homogenous pop acts, you would think it make sense to distinguish yourselves. But, I suppose they think their breasts are enough to do that. Still, it's a hilarious rant if I ever saw one.

On a similar fashion trend, The Gilded Moose waxed hysterical on Paris Fashion Week. Their hilarious round up of some of the most outrageous outfits is pure gold. Included is the following piece that applies to the picture to the left - pure. gold.
Now see, just the other day we said to ourselves 'where can young men like ourselves find a pair of polk-a-dotted tights that will make us appear to have a vagina?' And well, here they are.


Lastly, JA over at My new Plaid Pants is getting his undies in a bunch over Twin Peaks. I too was a young lad when Twin Peaks first aired so when I got my first taste of all things Lynchian with Mulholland Drive i seeked it out. It was only on VHS at the time, but I waded through the entire first and second season and consider it my favourite television program of all time. Sadly the second season has been absent from DVD collections due to all sorts of hassles (and apparent slow sales of Season 1) but according to Entertainment Weekly It's finally coming to DVD!!!!!!! This. Is. So. Freakin'. Exciting. Seriously, I can't wait for this if it's true. I'll be pre-ordering that shit like nobody's ever seen. I just hope it's true. There's been rumours of it's release for 2 years now. Most of those releases were Australian-only rumours. The first season on DVD released here included the pilot episode, which it didn't anywhere else, so I think Australia has some weird inter-connection to Twin Peaks (it deserves italics, y'all).

Now, when this gets released, all we need is the super-fantastic European DVD version of the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me that was rumoured about a while back too. That edition was to include the near 2 and a half hours of deleted scenes that Lynch was FORCED to cut out of the theatrical cut. For some reason, New Line (the studio that released the film back in '92) wanted a 2 and a half our movie that didn't feature many Twin Peaks series regulars instead of a 5 hour one that featured all of them! All the deleted scenes have been caught up in legal hassles (surprise surprise) as a lot of Lynch things are (because he deals with overseas investors a lot of the time), it was rumoured Europe would get the special edition. Oh well, I'm happy for the time being with my lovely Special Edition of Fire Walk With Me (my two copies actually, the American edition and the Australian edition, which both haveedifferent special features).

I love Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I think it's Lynch's most fucked up piece of cinema, and that's why it's brilliant. Those last 20 minutes are some of the most intense and moving I've ever seen. The final sequence with Laura and Angelo Badalementi's sublime "The Voice of Love" is just breathtaking and is probably my favourite ending of all time.

Man, that discussion about Twin Peaks went on way longer than I anticipated. Nighty Night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»