April 24, 2006

The Best 100 Performances of the 2000's - #5


5. Nicole Kidman as Anna in Birth (2004)

Cold? Yes. Stoic? Uh-huh. Slightly distant? Yup. Am I describing Nicole Kidman (or, the view some people have of her - not me) or Anna in Birth? The woman whose husband died and now he apparently is not. That's the beauty. It's as if Nicole knew what people say about her and channelled it all into this portrayal of a woman who is those exact things and more. With her hair tucked under a Mia-Farrow-esque wig and stuck inside a Kubrickian Eyes Wide Shut apartment (it's not surprise to learn that director Jonathan Glazer's idol is Kubrick) Nicole seems like the cold icy woman that people play her up to be. He stare looks menacing at times, as if being possessed.

That the film itself is a beautiful mindfuck also plays into it. Harris Savidas' camera work and especially Alexandre Desplat's music score only add to the macabre fairytale feel of it all. And Nicole is the icing on the cake. Her whisperish voice fits the role perfectly - a woman who has felt her husband with her all the time, so she speaks in hushed tones.

That the role got completely ignored except for a Golden Globe nomination is a travesty(although, the same could be said for everyone else in the top 5, unfortunately). I suppose it's one of those films that you either get or your don't. Nicole is just simply amazing as the haunted Anna. However, there was one bit that sealed the deal for me and it is a very deceptively simple moment. Anna arrives at the Opera and sits next to her new fiance. She looks up at the stage and the camera remains lingering on her face as it takes up the entire frame for 2 whole minutes without a single cut away. You can see Nicole working through so much without every saying a word and barely any movements. That's acting.

...to be continued...

6 comments:

Ramification said...

I think this performance was ignored at awards time was mainly because of the film's subject matter and also the fact that they rewarded her only a couple of years previously. Great list, can't wait for # 4 to 1 ...

Calum Reed said...

Well I agree that Kidman is excellent in the film, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near Top 5 of the decade. I hated the film as well.

adam k. said...

OK, so let's see if I was right in calling the top 5... I had Kidman (Birth), Kidman (Dogville), Allen (Upside), Collette (Japanese Story), and Watts (Mulholland Dr.).

Don't know the order, though... and does Allen really deserve to be this high? I say...

#4: Allen
#3: Collette
#2: Kidman
#1: Watts

Glenn Dunks said...

Or maybe I was trying to trick you with Collette? Or maybe Joan isn't even on there? Or maybe you're completely right?

Cal, indeed I loved Birth so that probably helps.

Yaseen Ali said...

Excellent Kidman perf. I'm not a fan of Birth, but because of her work and Desplat's delicious score, it has a place in my DVD collection.

If Dogville makes it in, that'll be three Kidman performances in the top ten! You've got the fever bad...

adam k. said...

I am a little torn between Nicole and Naomi as to who will win... maybe it'll be a tie? Since they are best friends and all. But I am sticking to my original hunch, I guess, that Naomi will edge out Nicole.