April 26, 2006

The 100 Best Performances of the 2000's - #3


3. Toni Collette as Sandy Edwards in Japanese Story (2003)

What can I say? The greatest performance of all-time in an Australian film? Well, from the (admittedly, not HUGE) experience with Aussie films I've had I'd definitely go out on a limb and say that. I can't even precisely put my finger on what it is that makes it so phenomenal. It just IS.

The first half (more like two thirds if I am remembering correctly) of the film is as quietly unnasuming little road movie with a late addition of romance with the Japanese man, played by Gotaro Tsunashima, that Toni's Sandy has been assigned to show around the desert region. But them BAM - a sudden plot twist completely wipes the rug from under your feet and Toni, along with it, peels back about 20 layers at once to form a raw and truly astonishing performance. I don't even know how she did it. It's one of those things that when the movie is over you sit there speechless. What did I just see? Brilliance.

People may not think the first two thirds of the film are that good - hell, even I wasn't that enthused about it (that bizarre pants sex scene omg!) but once the movie has completed you appreciate it so much more. The performance by Collette wouldn't have been as powerfully effective as it was without the rest of it. In fact, Japanese Story acts as a classic ballad. You don't start a ballad at 10. You start lower and then slowly build up and then you hit the 10 with all you got. That's exactly what Collette and director Sue Brooks do. They start slow and get you into a groove and then when they're ready and shake you up and show you what they're really made of.

The performance won every possible award in Australia and rightfully so. Naturally though the release got bungled everywhere else and resulted in it getting swept under the rug come awards season. But as is the mantra around this neck of the woods, the performance is reward enough as it is.

(I just typed out a whole paragraph and realised that it totally spoiled the last third of the film. So with that I'll just say that if you're a fan of Collette, seeing this movie is a must. I doubt she will ever get this good again.)

...to be continued...

8 comments:

adam k. said...

Mwahahaha... I think I was right about the top 5. Go me.

par3182 said...

love the performance but there should be a rule that if you write a female character and set the story in the desert you can't call her sandy.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Um. No Laura Harring AT ALL? I was hoping for a shock Glenn!

Well at least you've made fantastic choices so far. You just put Wilson as #2 and I'll be a happy guy.

tim r said...

Totally with you here. It's Collette's best work. And I really liked the film too: great pity it didn't get more international attention.

Yaseen Ali said...

Oh dear. I should really see this ASAP.

Glenn Dunks said...

Javier, Wilson?

And Par, I totally agree with you. I had forgotten what her character's name was so I IMDbed it and I was like "whoa, are they sure?!"

I hear ya Tim!

Ali, if you're a Collette fan then yes!

Adam, don't be so smug just yet.

Javier Aldabalde said...

The ball from "Cast Away"? Surely you know Wilson, though he obviously isn't coming since you said the Top 5 would be made up of "ladies".

Clearly this reads as ballracism.

Glenn Dunks said...

lol, SORRY! Although, if this were a list of The 100 Best Performances by Inanimate Objects of the 2000's he'd definitely be Top 3 alongside the fridge from Requiem for a Dream and Ryan Reynold's muscles in The Amityville Horror.

...just sayin'