January 2, 2006

When the greats are almost too great

*sigh*

It's movies like East of Eden that actually make me want to bemoan 2005's crop of the movies. I've tried to remain as positive as I can be about 2005's movies as an almost counter-production to 95% of the movie-critiquing/blogging/whatevering communitee. I really liked a bunch of movies this year. I liked a bunch more. But, really, looking over the movies I've seen I notice a lot of movies i really liked or liked but not that many that I can see myself saying "Oh, yeah, i love that movie!" when I see it listed on tv or on a video shelf at Blockbuster.

And last night I watched East of Eden for only the second time and I just... man, i adore this movie so much. It is Top-10-of-All-Time worthy. Just so wonderful.

I do wonder though, if James Dean hadn't have had two films released that year (1955) would be have received an Oscar nomination for Rebel Without A Cause? He was nommed for Eden in '55 and then for Giant in '56. If Eden were released a year earlier, would we be discussing Dean as one of that rare group of actors who got three Best Actor nominations in a row?

it's a shame, James Dean never made more than three films with major roles. He coulda been great. He coulda been a contender.

(sorry, slipped into '50s Idol mode there)

Anyway. I'm about to post my Top 10 of 2005... but it's a tad different to most. And again, it kind of just says how lower on the spectrum 2005 was.

2 comments:

Rebel Without a Cause said...

You might be interested in the new book about the making of Rebel Without a Cause which givew you some idea of why it is such a great film. You can go here for more information about the book: www.livefastdieyoungbook.com

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Not only nominated, Dean should have been the weird case of three Oscar wins in a row!